What was your best parenting tip you have to share?

My DH reminds me to share my best tip? Works for tweens/teens! Well DD would be a typical Tween. Loved her privacy. Being herself. But had 'issues with slamming her room door. So I told DH when she does it again to take the door off its hinges! He was all excited to do that! He couldn't wait to try it! So she did her usual and slammed her door after knowing she was warned not to. Off he took the hinge pins and off that door. No longer could she slam the door and lock out the household and have her privacy. Etc.. She learned Fast! It so worked! So I'm not bragging. DH insists my CM moms would like to know this! To keep DH content I am!! Now we have Grand Children! So do you have some nice tips to share?

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 6:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• Choose your battles

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver. Have lot's of it on hand and use it often. It is only illegal if you get caught.

Anonymous

• Hi All, When our kids were (all 5) in an attitude mood, I would nip it right in the bud, right then, & there....I never waited for days, months to blow up.... I started them all (1 1/2 yrs. old) to put their toys back in the toybox, shoes go on the rug near the door, & if I had to repeat myself more than 2 times about anyhting, they weren't getting to go anywhere that day. Mostly, get the toys where they belong, no bickering, spitting, biting, screaming... They were taught manners at home/out in public, in other peoples homes, friends, or relatives.... Take Care, Donna....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 7:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Tell you children to respect everyone, even if they feel it isn't deserved. And let them know they are loved every day!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Chose your battles. Demand respect but give respect. Demand manners from a young age and don't be afraid to say NO. Being told NO will not hurt a child. I say no just because I can and for no other reason.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• pick your battles, some are important, and some are not worth a fight
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• So done the door thing, worked like a charm, you can't respect me in my home, you don't get the luxury of privacy! I would say, go with your gut. It is there for a reason/
    Anonymous

• No one likes to be around bratty /snotty kids or adults- teach your children manners and how to be good company- eye contact, speak up, be respectful- learn to be a good little citizen and doors will open for you! Another favorite of mine is: Humility! Being humble in the face of both success and failure are life skills all kids need to learn.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Are you really my mother? I had that happen once too. Not fun at all.

I think respect and manners are my biggest things. They go hand in hand and you should never leave home without them.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010