He wont talk!!

I have a son that turned 2 in oct. and he wont talk. He babbles and points at things he wants. all he seems to say is mama, dada, all gone and things like that but doesnt say is clear. I dont know what to do. im getting very frusterated that i can't understand what he wants. Is there anyone else that has had this problem with their 2yr old and what can I do to get him to talk?

tristinsmommy

Asked by tristinsmommy at 6:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a dd and a grandson who wouldn't talk. My dd decided to talk at about 3 and then wouldn't shut up. She was fine. My grandson had a hearing problem that doctors didn't catch. We had to keep on until someone listened. They did a simple surgery and he's fine now.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Remind him to use his words for what he wants. He will talk when he needs to.
    Anonymous

• If he does talk some, then hes probably fine, and he knows with him pointing, you'll give him what he wants so try not giving in and insteading...ask him to say what he wants..he will get frustrated at first but eventually he will learn you want him to communicate by talking not just pointing all the time.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 7:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Call early intervention in your area for an evaluation. If he's within normal range, then at least they can calm your fears. If he's not, then they will do speech therapy either free of charge or for a very small fee to help him catch up.

Answer by missanc at 8:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• my first son couldn't talk good for a long time (until he was 3 i think). i taught him some sign language for things and that helped him out. he had to say the word with the sign though. my second son can talk really well and he is almost 2. it doesn't mean one is better than the other.... they just develop at their own pace.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010