38 weeks 1 day pregnant

So today I went to the doctors for my 38 weeks checkup. I am 1cm dilated and 90% effaced. She said she tried to strip my membranes( so does that means she couldn't) Well not long after I got home did I pass my mucus plug. MY back has been hurting for a good bit now and I have been getting some contraction for about 4 hours now but nothing that is strong or close together. Does this mean labor will start soon because I hope so. I've been trying to stay active like the doctor told me to and my husband and I are going to try having sex to see if that helps any.

itsajen812

Asked by itsajen812 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• While it could be your mucus plug that passed, it could also be mucus from her irritating your cervix, which would be bloody. It is possible that you could be entering the 1st stages of labor, but keep in mind that the 1st stage of labor can last several days. There is no real way of knowing when the baby will come until you start having regular contractions. What I would suggest is writing down the exact time each time you think you are having a contraction. After 5 you should start seeing a pattern, if no pattern it is most likely the baby moving (remember it's a big baby now!) or just your body getting ready for the real thing. Relax. When you notice the pattern and contractions are within the limit your dr specified to call, then call. If you worry and try to anticipate when it will just drive you crazy, trust me, I've had three!!!
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 6:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010