How can I get my toddler to potty train when he still isn't talking?

My son is almost two and he is having issues talking which im sorting out, but want to try and potty train him, cause he cant keep his nappy on. But Im just not sure how I can do it when he can communicate to me. Does anyone have any ideas?

kimley123

Asked by kimley123 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will be 2 next week and Im gonna introduce him to the potty then. lol. I have 2 older girls that trained easy but Im confused to about potty training my son. Its a challenge but we'll figure it out. O yea my son isn't talking great yet either. He's starting to you 4 words together though....another challenge
    lol
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 6:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Is there a dad or male figure he can watch? They learn better by example. If not, then get some little books or tapes on potty training.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My daughter was a very very late talker, but still at 22 months I was able to potty train her in THREE DAYS!!!!!! My brother would constantly point out that she wasn't talking. "Why doesn't she talk? So and so's kid is only 16 months and says this and says that..." and on and on....(Made me soooo mad!)

Turns out, my kid was a genius...beginning in elementary school ranked in the top 1% of the nation according to academic testing!

She didn't need to communicate with me....I would guesstimate when she would go potty, then I would sit her on the potty, in front of the tv, with my arm around her, and when I would hear a tinkle, I would go crazy with praise! I did this all day and night for 3 days and never had to do it again......

In the middle of the night on the 3rd day, she got up, ran to the bathroom, I heard a tinkle, and then she returned to bed....I was SOOOO PROUD! :)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have a 19 mo old who I am currently in the middle of potty training. She shows me signs that she needs to go. If she needs to pee or has already peed then she squats and pulls on her diaper. She hunts me down in the house to do this. Otherwise if she is grunting the I know she is trying to poop. She did poop on the potty today and she thought that it was great. When they actually do anything on the potty give tons of praise. They just want to make us happy.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Your child finds a way of telling you he needs to eat or that he wants that particular toy... non-verbal kids potty train all the time. You will have to demonstrate to him what to do, but that's the same for a child who is fully verbal if it's a new concept... I don't agree that a man has to show him simply because I'm a fan of training boys sitting down... My daughter was spoke pretty well for 19 months when I trained her; we practiced saying "potty" all the time; she knew how to say it... what did she finally start saying when she needed to pee or poop? "Lipstick" -- because I let her hold my chapstick as a distraction when she was on the potty. They definitely don't need to be able to say the words... just go with it; you'll be a master of knowing his body language for this ... especially if you go straight to underwear like we did (lol). GL.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• thanks everyone for your advice. i just didnt know what i should do cause he isnt showing me either that he wants to go, but ill look for better signs. and there isnt a big male model around much either, but he does have my partner every now and then. i dont think having a male around would make much different though
    kimley123

Answer by kimley123 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You can training your son to go to the potty >What you will have to do is put him on the potty when he wake up every day when he wake up after nap then when you feed him you have to put on the potty 30min after son he known that where he have to go to use the bathroom i do it with my son in still he show me he need to stand up over the potty then that when his dad need to come in cause he have to show him how to do all that stand up.
    LaSheik

Answer by LaSheik at 8:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2010