Can someone tell me about the Boy Scouts?

I was a Girl Scout for 11 years and I loved it. However, I have a 5 year old boy and I have no clue about Boy Scouts. What age can they join? How was your/your child's experience with the Boy Scouts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A boy can join Tiger Cubs at age 7. They are Tiger Cubs for a year and then Cub Scouts.

All three of my sons were in scouts and worked at summer Cub Scout camp. My oldest was an Eagle Scout and went on a lot of trips, the other two weren't that motivated. They were able to do a lot of things with scouts that they wouldn't have been able to to do since I was a single mother and we didn't have much money.

My two older sons loved working at camp and one of my sons met his wife there.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Tiger cubs starts in first grade. You (or someone) have to go with them and stay at the meetings. After tigers, comes wolves, and you don't have to stay, but you should help out in some way. It will be more plain what that might be, once you get in a pack. Cub scouts is arranged by school groups, unlike girl scouts. We did both, and GS purposely mixes up the groups while Cubs takes advantage of the togetherness at school to foster friendships within the dens. I have two Eagle Scouts, which is the highest rank and is somewhat of a big deal. Many boy scouts don't make it that far. They don't have to go on to Boy Scouts and there is no real expectation one way or the other.
    Boy Scouts (and cubs) are often chartered by churches and for them it is an outreach program, but for the troop/pack, it's more of a service partner. No pressure is put on them to join or attend that church. (more)
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• They do open with a prayer and a flag ceremony (just the pledge, for the little guys).
    We like it. We like what scouts stands for and if you don't mind the prayers (care is given to respect non-christian members' feelings, but belief in, and duty to God is stated) you might, also. If you are of a non-christian religion, no pressure will be put on your son and your family's beliefs and again, respect is required by the national committee.
    Packs (the cubs' overall organization) often go on family camp-outs, but the boys can't go without a parent or guardian. The whole family will be welcome and it's a blast.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Just my opinion, but my boys will never be joining the boy scouts. I understand that they are a private organization, and can choose to discriminate if they wish, but I can also choose not to support them. I could never support such an openly discriminatory and hateful organization, nor would I allow my children to associate with one. All the good they do, and teach does not change the hate at the heart of it all.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 7:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I realized I made it sound like a religious organization but that was in case you had a problem with the belief in God part, as some have had.
    Their activities focus on fun and education. The progress toward their ranks takes the form of learning hobbies and skills that are handy not just for camping, but stuff like fixing and building things. The outdoors is somewhat stressed as is fitness but so are indoor hobbies, as well. They move up each year. First grade is tigers, second is wolves, third grade is bears and fourth and fifth grade is Webelos. The second year of Webelos prepares them to go on to boy scouts part of the time, with more focus on that as they get closer to the right age, which is January of their fifth grade year.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 7:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I've been in Boy Scouts for 16 years. We have sent 3 sons through (almost through). My 15 year old is 2 badges away from his Eagle Scout. I have been den mom, committe chair, day camp director, advancement chair, just a mom, and worked with the district as cub leader trainer. If you get with a group that is active and enjoys the principles of scouting, you will love it. Our group from Tiger to Life Scout has done days and days of camping, miles upon miles of hiking, gone skiing, boating, community service, packed boxes after Floyd (hurricaine that hit and flooded our town), and just had such a sense of fellowship. We have loved being in scouts, my boys have had a wonderful time. I know there are some packs and troops that don't do what is expected, but if you do it right, it is a real hoot.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010