Evictions

I got evicted a couple of years ago, about 2-3 to be exact. My son had to have surgery out of state and I could no longer pay my rent, so I just left. Yes, I was young and stupid, but I don't regret my decision because my son is my life. I have been living with my parents for a couple of months and finally have the financial freedom to get an apartment for my son and I. How do I find out if the eviction is going to affect my future apartment? I tried looking at my credit report (experian) and it doesn't show up.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ididnt think that evictions showed up on credit reports....i would be up front and honest with the new land lord and explain you reasons. and use bank or other credit places as reference good luck
    Anonymous

• You should be fine if it's not on your credit report!! Otherwise, the only way to find out is if you turn in an application and it's denied......if it is discovered by the company assessing your application - you can explain it and even bring proof to them and they may still approve you anyway!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• (OP)Well I didn't find it on my credit report, but if my application still gets denied, can I get a co-signer and be okay?
    Anonymous

• If you are in another state then it won't show up for a rental agent. Yes you can get a co-signer.
    Anonymous

• An eviction will not show up on your credit report unless the landlord turns the amount you owed over to a collection agency. Most of the time, they don't because it is more trouble than it is worth. However, they can find out if you have been previously evicted by going to the court house. Your best bet is to be upfront and honest. You may have to have a large deposit because of it, but more than likely they will still rent to you since it was 2-3 years ago. Good luck!

Anonymous

• The eviction as stated in the previous answer will show up on your court records and most leasing offices will run a check through them. I believe that being honest about your past eviction is the best way to go about things. Just make your situation back then clear and be honest. It might lessen the amount of apartments who will rent to you, but you won't waste money on app fees and deposits just to be turned down.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 8:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My eviction showed on my credit for 3 years after I paid it off. The only way to find out is to apply for an apartment and see if you get denied or not.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I wouldn't even tell the landlord. Just say you lived with your parents the whole time.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010