I'm not happy

If I am not happy being a commandment keeping christian should I even bother to try? I mean I do and don't do out of anger and feel like a slave. Aren't we supposed to love God? Love serving God? So why does it feel like slavery?! If I do follow all the rules I do not think that God would save me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The rules are easy to follow even if you aren't a Christian. They are basic rules for people living together and getting along. They should be followed even if there isn't a god or gods.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• what rules don't you like?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 7:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• that's the problem... stop focusing on the rules and religion but focus instead on a relationship with your heavenly Father.. God. Get to know Him in a personal way... spend time with Him, in His word, and in prayer (just talking to Him like you would a father/daddy)... as that relationship grows.... the rest will fall into place.
    Anonymous

• ... Interesting train of thought there ...

Here's my perspective; it has to do with mankind having developed in our abilities over the centuries.
    When the 10 Commandments were held up to the Hebrews to learn how to follow, mostly only the high priests had an awake ego-presence (by virtue of their long initiation-training). The ancient human being's mind was not yet capable of clear & independent thought / reasoning. Comparable to today's 2nd or 3rd grader. But God's plan included having man become a being with an ego-presence, with an "I AM" consciousness. THAT'S what the 10 Commandments were intended to do - foster and strengthen our individuality, our self-mastery, our inner conscience ... in other words, our SELF.

So by obeying them, you are very much helping yourself ! Just like following rules for eating right !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 8:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I'm not sure what specifically you are struggling with. The commandments for the most part are easy to follow, don't lie, cheat steal or murder. It can be harder not to be jealousof other people but this is something that is good for all people to work on. 

Religion isn't so much about the rules as it is to be healthy and happy with yourself so you can extend that to God and other people around you.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Ryna's do you also follow the 4th commandment?
    Anonymous

• There is something called the joy of the Lord. It transcends your circumstances in life. It is not "happiness" as we think of it, but true joy that comes from knowing God and his love for you even in bad times. It is a peace, a contentment that comes from his love, his word and his promises. If you want it, pray, talk to him always, read the Bible. Your relationship with Him will grow and your mind and heart will be transformed. It makes all the difference.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• How many of you keep the sabbath holy? That's one of the commandments. Don't worry so much over "following the rules" Strengthen your relationship with God and focus on that. Meditate and pray. Try to live your life with compassion, honesty, and integrity.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You aren't happy because you a living life like a slave..Jesus said he came into this world to save it not condemn it,it sounds like you have had alot of the rules and commandments forced upon you and have been told that following these rules is what makes you a christian. Wrong.. What makes you a christian is your faith in Jesus and your willingness to accept his grace and mercy, God NEVER expects us to be perfect or follow all of the rules all the time, He knows we are human and that we mess up, he loves us much like a father.If we mess up or break a rule a simple I'm sorry I'll try not to do it again will suffice, and we move on, if you find yourself having no joy then you are following religion and not the relationship that God has created you for.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• if you are folling a list of do and don't trying to get to heaven you need to stop it will not work no one can be sinless. we will all fall short. develop a relationship eitht eh lord. it the church you are attending is making you feel bad. then look for another try several until you find the one that meets your needs
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 9:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010