Do you always follow your pediatrician's advice?

Do you do everything "by the book", or have you made decisions that were against the advice of your children's doctors?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• My doctor only gives medical advice- so yes, I do listen to her. When my kids were little we talked about developmental milestones, things to be on the look out for, etc... My kids are healthy and on target for growth and development so I have been very lucky! As for sleep, potty training and other parenting things-honestly I would chat with her as a parent and listen to what worked for her. Again, I feel pretty lucky that I have had no major issues (knock wood) with my kids- they ate well, they slept well, they potty trained well, they broke from the bottle and pacifier without too much trauma (my husband did the potty training and pacifier breaking) they are rowdy but manageable :) They are 10 and 15 now, so I bet there are some big surprises for me coming up.. my luck has to run out some time right?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• nope :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I have NEVER followed the "books." I do trust my son's pediatrician so I do take most of his advice and when I don't I tell him why I don't and he respects that. My child is not a "book" and some people at an agency doesn't know what is best for my child, I do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• When it's something truly medical, I would listen to my doctor and if I didn't trust the doctor, I would find a new one. When it's something that to me does not really fall under the doctor's area of expertise, say, for example, in nutrition, I am willing to make a decision that goes against doctor's advice. Like my daughter's pedi just told me it was so important that my 16 month-old have cow's milk that I should refuse water until she drinks it... I know she gets enough of what she needs from her diet, so I would never do that...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I trust my child's doctor wholeheartedly. So most of the time I follow his advice. There have been a few times I disagreed so we discussed other options. if you are not going to take the pediatrician's advice,or at least listen to what they have to say, why bother going?? KWIM Should hope you trust the doctor you choose for your child.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Most of the time I follow his advice (he was my ped too) some of the time I will decide to do things diff. b/c well... its my judgment as a mother. like... when my dd was little I decide NOT to keep coming back every 2 weeks to do another chek... I knew she had bronchitis, her ears were affected but the weren't hurting her... and she didn't really need her vax. anyways so why spend the money....
    I did call, cancel the appt and said I'll come back when she's better.... the offices reply: just call us right b/f you come... see you in the summer.
    Right now I'm going to have my ds evaluated for allergies... I know the dr. is 100% for it esp. b/c I believe that they are affecting him behaviorally but... he's not vs. either.

A doc. is a doc. but I'm with my kids 24 hours... will take in all opnions and make my own decision.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• sorry correction their ped is NOT 100% for checking him for allergies.... but I know he has them so .... it's my choice to go overboard and go to the specialist... he's okay with it even if he doesn't 100 percent support it.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• My daughter is 5 months old so we're still new patients in the grand scheme of things. She had jaundice her first week out of the hospital and was on light therapy at home. If her pediatrician had recommended formula feeding, I would not have followed that advice. Luckily he didn't because I honestly might have even considered finding a new doctor and I do like him. At her 2 month appointment he said that at 4 months I could start feeding her rice cereal. I told him I didn't want to and that I wanted to wait until she was 6 months at least before any solids and he was cool with that. I feel like if I'm not going to follow his advice then I should communicate that and why not and see what he has to say. Like with the rice cereal, there's no medical reason for me to give it to her and I told him as much and he was fine with it.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I "listen" to my pediatrician when I have a sick child or a hurt child that I need him to help, otherwise NO, I do not seek parenting advice from our ped as he isnt a parenting expert, I do not seek nutrition advice from him because he is not a certified nutritionist, I ONLY seek the help and advice for which he is an expert or specialist...that is in the medical treatment of a child.

jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Oh and as far as "by the book." Eh, maybe I'm by the book, but it's more like by the books because I'll read a book and follow whatever advice in it I want and then I'll read another and follow the advice in it that I like.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010