how can we get my son to eat something?

everything that we make him he doesnt want or just wont eat it

gizmoliz6969

Asked by gizmoliz6969 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As long as he has liquids he'll be fine. The health dept nurse told me to give them ice cream when they won't eat other stuff. That way they get calcium. If that didn't work, we'd hit a drive thru! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 7:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We have to watch and make sure my grandbaby doesn't eat the dog and cat food. He eats everything. Why are kids so different?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• When my DD used to do this, or if I was trying to get her to eat something new, I'd put some in a dish and tell her that this was Mama's and was 'grown-up' food, not for little girls. Then ignored seeing her hand dipping into to taste some, the look on my ex's face when she started asking for brussels sprouts was priceless!! Especially when he accused me of "forcing" her to eat them. lol

Good luck though, I have found that this sort of thing doesn't always last too long, they all get hungry at some point.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Get your child involved in the kitchen let him help you in the kitchen make food exciting play a game with foods this has helped me
    thekayk

Answer by thekayk at 9:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she/he is drinking water, so she/he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she/ge will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

• I agree...the most important thing to know is do not make food an issue....I feel as though this is one of those things that is about establishing their sense of self...one of those things that you can't make em do...you can make them put shoes on...or u can put them on for them...if u make it an issue then so will they and you will always have food issues...with my children...I offered it...made them sit at the table for awhile....if they said they didnt want it or didnt like it ok fine...if u dont give it an honest try then I know that you dont know whether u like it or not...if it was just dont want it....then nothing else til the next meal....thats it...not arguements....not another word about it...sometimes later they would ask to taste it later sometimes not...now my older children will seek out new healthy foods....its just not that big a deal....they wont starve
    Reesielicious

Answer by Reesielicious at 12:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My daughter is 3 and she has NEVER been one to really eat. Actually when she was 6 months she was put in the hospital for failure to thrive, I guess they thought I wasn't feeding her but she showed them...lol My son eats everything... He is 1 and out eats her ever meal. They will eat when they get hungry. Daddy don't let her down from the dinner table until he feels she has eaten a good plate, but I'm a lot more laid back. Don't let him snack. If you have to skip breakfast and have lunch an hour early then do that. They aren't going to starve to death but they tummys are shrunk because they don't fill it full every meal.
    jlee38340

Answer by jlee38340 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2010