Taco Bell Admits 'Drive-Thru Diet' Isn't a Diet

Lose 54 pounds eating fast food and you, too, may become a media star.

At least that's how it's working out for 27-year-old Christine Dougherty, who held up her former "fat pants" at a press conference today, just like Subway poster boy Jared Fogle once did. "I know his story inspired people to lose weight," Dougherty told reporters. "So I hope my story will also."

"It's not a diet plan for weight loss," Ruth Carey, a registered dietitian hired by Taco Bell, told AOL News.

Various disclaimers on a company Web site echo that sentiment.

So what is it?

"Think of the Drive-Thru Diet Menu as better choices at the drive-through," said Carey. "And there are many Americans who eat a drive-through diet many times a week."

My question: Is anyone actually foolish enough to believe it is?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 8:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh yeah, there a TONS of morons in the world who want the results without the work, and will believe it because they want that easy solution so bad. Why run and cook healthy meals everyday when blah blah says I can eat Taco Bell 3 times a day and lose 52 lbs? So even when it is proven false people are still going to do it. Why do you think they still have and are creating new weight loss pills on the market
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• diet (dī′ət)-noun-what a person or animal usually eats and drinks; daily fare
    figuratively, what a person regularly reads, listens to, does, etc.
    a special or limited selection of food and drink, chosen or prescribed to promote health or a gain or loss of weight

anything, even a junk food diet could be considered a diet in the literal sense of the word. if someone chose these options over other foods that they could eat they COULD lose wieght doing it on a regular basis.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• They fall for subway, why not?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I think there ARE people foolish enough. Look at all the diet pills, gimmicks, and crap out there....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• People who want results without the work will fall for it. Just like some people want a good paycheck without the work.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• sometimes it makes me feel better about myself to eat "diet" food, but I know it's all about how many calories i intake versus how much I burn off. It's something that makes people feel less guilty that's all. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If you put food in your mouth you are on a diet. Some of us are on more of a diet than others of us.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I cant put weight on at all.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i'm sure if you were eating fast food every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner and you chose to eat taco bells "healthier choices" over mcdonalds big mac that you could loose 20 lbs.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• People actually fell for the subway diet. I mean come on who can loose weight eating hoggies for goodness sakes.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010