Question for those who Failed Glucose Test

I took my test last week and failed it. Mine was 144, the Dr. said the cut off was 140 and said it wasn't REALLY bad. Now I have to prick my finger for the next 5-6 weeks :( and see what kind of results I get from that. For those who failed, what was your results (#)? Those who end up with ges. diab. was your number extremely higher than mine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't pass it off as no big deal. I developed GD during my last pregnancy and had to do 4 pricks and 2 shots of insulin daily. It was so important to stay on top of carbs and sugar levels because diabetes can lead to a stillborn. Even just days before birth. Plus mine only got worse as each week went by, not for anything I did, just because my body couldn't mantain. It's more important to remember it's not about you being inconvienced, it's about the baby's health. Good Luck, the time will fly.
    kasieki73

Answer by kasieki73 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I don't remember my numbers exactly, but I do remember I had to test 4 times a day. Having gestational diabetes increases your chances of type 2 later in life. I understand it's not one of the most pleasant experiences during pregnancy or otherwise, but as long as you keep your blood sugar under 140, you'll feel better and when that sweet little bundle is delivered from Heaven, you'll see it was all worth it! Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I don't know what my numbers were, except that with my 2nd I was only barely over on the numbers. I had gestational diabetes with my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pregnancies. With my 1st I failed the 1 hour, but they gave me a 3 hour test which I passed - I never had to prick my finger with that one. Just watch your carbs, make sure you eat small meals throughout the day, and exercise helps a lot! I never had to take insulin, but with my 4th they did give me an oral medication that I took in the mornings which is when I had the most trouble controlling my sugar levels. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 8:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I failed my first with a 200 and demanded a 3 hr test. Because I really felt like me having to not eat for 8 hr and I actually went longer because I splet thru my alarm. So it was more like 12 hrs. So having a very sugary drink like that would really make anyones body go crazy. Well I could not get if for a month. I first had to show with pricking my finger and not have a high reading they would then test me. Well never had a high or even over what I should be. So took the three hour and passed.
    Anonymous