I'm sorry I called animal control on a stray dog. :(

I had a stray pitbull coming over that I had been feeding. I called animal control because I couldn't take her in my car. She had fleas, a hurt leg (i think maybe broken), and looked sickly. The reason I couldn't take her in my car was because my husband has been out of town and I would have to take the dog in my car with my two kids. Animal control didn't come when they said they would so she was in a kennel for almost 24 hours. I did take her out on a leash once and I cleaned the kennel out. It was very hard to get her in there in the first place and they said they would come right away. Nobody would return my calls and the nokill shelters wouldn't take new animals. I feel horrible horrible horrible and moms on here agree that what I did was horrible. All I can say is that I'm sorry and I didn't want the dog to suffer anymore. I'm sad :(

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 8:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pets

• What you did is NOT horrible. The people who abandoned the dog are the ones who are horrible. So what, you're supposed to take an injured, possibly sick, animal that you do not know (pit bull or not - any animal in that situation has the potential to be dangerous) in the car - which is a closed environment - with your kids no less. Then what, you're supposed to drive the animal to a vet or to a shelter, not knowing if this animal is going to turn on you or your kids, possibly while you're driving down the road, thus putting the people in other cars in danger as well.

Or, if you have a kennel, you're supposed to be able to get this strange dog, in a kennel it doesn't know, somehow into your car so you can do this?

You're NOT horrible. You called the professional people who are supposed to take care of this animal! They should have come before now!

The owners of the dog and the animal control are who are at fault here!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• animal control is not always bad. and not all staes put down pitbulls. many try to get organizatuions that rescue pitbulls to help. so maybe this wont have a sad ending
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Well, you had to do something, at least you took action and did the best you could with the situation at hand. A lot of people would have done nothing, or worse, so don't beat yourself up. At least the dog isn't suffering anymore, just hope for the best and don't feel guilty. You tried.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Our animal control folks find them a good home.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I'm sorry, but what you did was not horrible. You did what you did to help that dog that was not only in pain but sick and infested. You did the right thing. I would hate to see a dog go on hurting. If he was sick and did need to be euthenized, then it's sad, but a necessary thing. You're just one person, not a miracle worker that could cure this dog and fix everything.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 8:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Good thing you did what you did. Don't feel bad. The dog could have gone mad and eaten kids in the neiborhood. Your story is better than hearing of pitbill attacking girl or boy and ripping off ears, killing them. I live in Chicago and hear horrifying things like that ALL the time so thank you for getting that dog off the street.
    Anonymous

• I know, but I asked a question about it on here and the mothers layed into me about how could i leave a dog in my yard with a broken leg for a day or why I couldn't get her to the vet. They also said i had animal control pick her up two hours after I asked the question, but I had really called them almost 24 hours before and they didn't show all the while I had been calling whomever else I could who would not kill her. I was calling no kills a couple days before I actually crated her for animal control. I got some very judgemental responses, so I wanted to say sorry cuz i feel bad.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• You did what you could. You fed it, kept it sheltered and called the people that could help it more. Most will not euthanize them, but will find them new homes if they can be nursed back to health and are not violent, which this dog does not sound like at all. They will help the dog, make sure it gets fed and gets proper care. You did fine, so don't worry. I've had to take a dog to a shelter before and felt much like you are feeling, but just realize you did good.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 8:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• What you did was caring and responsible - both for the animal and for your kids. Some women on here delight in playing armchair quarterback, lecturing people on what they SHOULD have done in a very nasty way, while at the same time, they're not the one in the situation.

You did what you could, and what you thought was best, and you have nothing to feel guilty for.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• that is not bad. if it was hurt pretty bad they'll maybe get it vet care and keep it for at least a month til some one comes and claims its or adopts it then they might just kill her. i know those Aspca commericals kill me :(
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 8:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2010