how long does it take to become a good cake maker?

I am very interested in everything there is to do with this.I was wondering if there are any of you out there that do this for a living and how long it takes to become a good cake maker as far as decorating them and making them taste great .Also where can you buy products like color fondant and baking tools and the icings and all that?I would really like to get started so that maybe I can make my daughters birthday cake for her in 2 months thanks(:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Practice makes perfect.

Answer by louise2 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• um i worked at a grocery store. if you can make cookies and other goodies cake is like the easiest. online baking stores. but fondant is nasty, use buttercream :D
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 8:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I've taken decorating classes and read lots of books. Professional cake makers usually use cake mixes. I found decorating to be really hard. I made the cakes for my son's wedding. I decided to make really good cake, really good frosting (not the usual nasty tasting stuff) and decorate with real flowers. The cakes turned out beautiful and I didn't have to try and do all the fondant or other stuff.

Get some books and some basic tools if you think you might like to give it a try.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Practice makes perfect. You can buy stuff at Michaels, Hobby lobby or a cake shop. Good luck
    Anonymous