Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you claim a new baby deduction if you have no birth records?

My DD had her 3rd Child. At the same hospital as her first two. She's been patiently waiting for the birth certificate for the baby. Then she called the hospital that says they have NO records of her being born Etc. But she's been going in for all her appointments and all! But now she was told since she has no birth certificate for her to get a social security card she can't claim this child on their Tax forms. Now the hospital is being unhelpful! Has this ever happened to anyone? I told her to cancel paying for all of her Hospital, delivery and doctor's visits Etc. Since they have no record of her birth. Hoping this may help getting her birth records. Meanwhile she has to go through hoops to get a birth certificate Etc.. She wondered why she never did get a birth congratulations from our governor.By the way her baby is over 4 months old. Any advice? Thank you for reading and caring!

Answer Question

Asked by Angellinda at 8:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 21 (11,804 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Call or go to the IRS office and find out what to do.

    Answer by Gailll at 8:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • Either go in person to the patient accounts office with the baby, and demand to speak to a supervisor, or contact the county office of vital records. If she has any proof that the baby was born and being seen by a dr (even take in any bills the dr's ofice sent her) they might be able to clear it up. Even if it doesn't get worked out by April 15th, she can apply for an extension, or just do the taxes without the baby's info and then file an amendment.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • That's crazy! There is SO much paperwork invovled in a birth, how on EARTH could they lose it?? That's just horrible! I agree she shouldn't pay anything, and if this gets nasty, I'd sue for whatever she payed already! I know suing is horrible, but sheesh! Good luck!

    Answer by Adelicious at 9:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • I wouldn't pay a damn cent until that mess gets sorted out. How in the world could they have no record of her birth?! That is ridiculous! I agree with adelicious. Sueing the hospital might just be the smart thing to do.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • i would do what anon said, in person!!! that's how you get stuff done. then sue if they still don't have anything to help you with. you can go down to your social security office and explain the situation and maybe they can call the city where your birth certificate should be and get you a copy.

    Answer by angevil53 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • I agree with everyone, I would also find out how people that have unassissted births get birth certificates. I think you have to go to the court house and have a witness. That is what I would honestly do. And I also would not pay the bills until they provide verification of the debt, by which they will have to have records.

    Answer by Natsnumberthree at 11:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.