how does walking help?

since i found out i was pregnant everyones been telling me that i need to start walking, and that it will help during labor. but how does it help? what does it do for labor? im 37 weeks and 3cm dilated, so im going to start walking more to help things move along. because ive been told that walking will help dilate you and make the baby drop...right??

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Walking and yoga are both good for keeping your body toned and stretched.
    During labor, it's best to move around and try different pushing positions, and it's good to be in shape before labor starts.
    Doing squats can help a lot too, because they help to open up the pelvis more.
    Anonymous

• with my first daughter which was a june baby I walked up and down the beach maybe 3 miles or more a day from 32 weeks all the way to 42 weeks. If I didn't get up and walk it was because it was rainy. It didnt work for me I had to be induced.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 9:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• and my labor was long and painful.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 9:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• First response was good: Also, any exertion can help bring on contractions.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• walking wont help anything really yes it's good to exercise but if your not in labor it wont help at all during labor it helps baby drop thats about it i walked during my pregnancy but just around stores and such my labor went fine was in labor 14 hrs ( which is a normal time ) pushed for an hr ( which is also normal ) didnt tear was cut but that was it
    Anonymous

• I walked and did prenatal yoga and went to curves through my whole first pregnancy, and my labor was a fast, hard 5 hours. The second time, I walked all around town pushing my toddler in a stroller, and at night I watched tv in a full squat position. I delivered all natural at 42 weeks. That labor was only 3 hours.
    I really think that keeping yourself moving and flexible is a big help for making labor go more smoothly. I know labor is different for everyone, but I don't think it hurts anyone to stay active unless they are on bedrest for blood pressure or other medical reasons)
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i actually read something recently that said that there is no proof that walking helps move things along faster :) i'd just relax as much as possible at this point. gl!
    Anonymous