how do i get my mom to understand?

i am 16 and keeping my child i know that it is going to be the biggest challenge of my
life at the moment but
i am looking for tips on how to get my mom to
understand that its not the end of the world

madilynn28

Asked by madilynn28 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Pregnancy

• give her time....

and good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i think that since you're no longer emancipated when you have a child your mother should be able to choose whether or not you keep it. that's just my opinion. good luck.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Really? If she is supporting you Hon, really IT IS HER DECISION... Not yours! When she has a baby to support because you are incapable of doing it by yourself.. then IT IS HER DECISION. If you want to do it on your own, get outta her house. I would be hot, raving PISSED OFF if my child were to get pregnant at that age.. because there IS NO WAY I would support you both. You are looking at it through the eyes of a child, because you are a child... you can do no different.. but trust me, it's not playing house and NO ONE is responsible for your own acts... She does not have to understand~!
    Anonymous

• time. thats all it might take. if you had a job it would help her to quit freaking out and show her that you ARE an adult now and you have to be treated as one too. good luck!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 9:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Your mom is just having a hard time dealing with the fact that all the hopes and dreams she had for you are no longer going to be easy for you to reach, and that you are now on a different path. Once you have that baby you will understand. You'll look at your baby and just imagine all the wonderful and great things he/she will be able to do with their life. Now imagine a real adult situation happening to that little child of yours and kind of putting a damper on things. You would be disappointed too. But baby's are blessings and your mom will come around eventually. Just give her time. Once she sees her grandson/daughter she will forget all about being mad. Trust me! My mom and dad did.
    Anonymous

• hmm keeping a baby at that age would be hard. i know one over at the HS that his keeping hers and her parents are STRICT mormon. her parents are not happy about it. but i could ever think of giving up my baby unless it really needed a better life. Good luck Dear
    Anonymous

• When a situation like this happens, your parents will never be happy about it. It takes time. There first reaction is naturally going to be unhelpful and disapproving. You're 16, which is very young, but you are old enough to get a job. Show her that you are willing to take on the responsibility of your decision. She will eventually come around. Its not going to be easy for her or you, but you guys need to talk about the outcomes and goals on what you are going to do in order to provide for your child so she doesnt have to. And to the person who said something about the mother should decide on whether she can keep the baby or not, youre 100% wrong. Just bc she is 16 doesnt mean someone can say whether she can keep her baby or not, there are programs out there to help in cases like these. So you need to think b4 you speak. What would you have done if you were in her shoes. You would feel the same way as she does.
    Anonymous

• angevil, what happened to your body your choice? No one else can choose to make you have an abortion or give your child away. That' stupid.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• if she's going to stay at home with mommy footing the bill i think mommy should be able to decided whether or not she wants to take on the extra responsibility of another child. if she leaves her home then of couse keep it if she wants. but she can't get wic or food stamps (at least in my state until she's 21 living with mom) which means mom has to foot the bill, including her daughter's hospital bill. i didn't mean making her get an abortion but adoption is certainly a possiblity if her mother thinks it is. personally i would let her move out and take of her responsiblity. i agree with the pp with the idea of getting a job and proving herself. she can get free day care in most cases.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• As far as I know NOBODY can make you give away your baby, Go get wic and foodstamp and medicaid then if at all possible get a job. Send me a message if you want to talk I was 15 when I got pregnant with dd #1
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2010