In need of suggestions..

Ok, so I recently started watching my 4yo nephew. He and my niece (who's 8) have come to live with my dad and step-mom due to some family issues with their mom. Anyway, he'll be 5 in April and has had no kind of preschool, daycare or anything like that. He doesn't speak clearly at all, has no concept of sentence structure, can't count higher than 5 and doesn't even know what the alphabet is let alone how to say it. I don't think my dad and step-mom are working with him really. I'm not sure they even think about it since they haven't had little ones in a long time. (I'm the youngest and I'm 25). He's only with me for a little while during the day but I'd like to start working with him so he's prepared for school next year. My daughter knew all this stuff before she started preschool at 3 so I've never had to teach an older kid.. any suggestions?

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• http://www.starfall.com/

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/

Both of  these websites are excellent tools in teaching preschool children about the alphabet.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• They pick it up pretty fast if they are worked with. Is there any way he could go to a two day a week school or something like that? That would be the best thing for him. Get him tested with the public schools for speech therapy ASAP and get those programs going.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• If you aren't anti-tv, there are all kinds of PBS Kids shows that are great for helping to reinforce letters and numbers. We love Word World and WOrd Girl, and there are a ton of other ones. Noggin and PBS both have games you can play online to get them interested in learning.
    Anonymous

• There really aren't any preschools around here that will take him so late in the year. Plus, they either cost money or go by income. Either way, it would be tricky. My dad and step-mom have full legal custody of the kids now. They make way too much money for him to get into the headstart programs. And yes, they could afford to pay for a private school, but will not do that under the circumstances. They feel that my brother needs to be doing that stuff.. which he should. But he wont. He wouldn't even pay for daycare, which is why the state finally took them. (their mom is an alcoholic and had been ordered not to be alone with the kids because she was driving drunk with them, abusing my niece( "H"), ect. But my brother didn't listen and left the kids with her. A neighbor called the cops after the mom was dragging "H" by the hair and smacking her because she wouldn't get in the car cause her mom was drunk.) I'll continue....
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• And I'm not anti-tv. And they do watch some of the pbs shows. but he loses interest quickly.
    I'll check out the websites and see what I can use...
    Thanks ladies!
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i would say he has probably been around nothing but a tv all his life. anything else may be boring to him. You may have to get some learning dvds inorder to reach his attention through tv
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010