Can she have the chicken pox even though she's had the vaccination?

My daughter started breaking out in red raised bumps earlier today. It started with 7 or 8, and she now has 18 and they are starting to form white tops. They started on her bottom, legs, and are now on her neck, face, and hand. She had her vaccination for chicken pox, but is it still possible for her to get them? I know I spoke with her doctor in detail about it when she got it, but I can't for the life of me remember any of it now. Thanks in advance.

lilbit837

Asked by lilbit837 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It's still possible to get it after the vaccine, but it should be a very mild case. Call her dr and let them know in the AM.
    Anonymous

• I think it it possible but there isn't anything else going on like a Staph infection? Does she have a fever?
    Anonymous

• Yes you can have them multiple times in your life as well this is why I think this vaccine is so ridiculous.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 10:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Both of my boys had the chicken pox even though they were vaccinated for it. They each had about 100 spots and a fever. My younger son, who was 2, had it a little worse; he got them in his throat. I am happy that it wasn't as bad as I remember having the chicken pox when I was 4. DD was also vaccinated and has not gotten them even with the multiple exposure. Go figure.

Call your doctor in the morning. Be prepared to go in through the back door.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• for some reason i feel like someone once told me chicken pox always start out on your face and neck
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• and then back
    shay1130

• 2nd anon- Staph infection is not going around that I am aware of. I was told by a family member that the chicken pox are though before I even suspected that's what it was. To be honest I first thought it was a spider attack in her sleep or something.

shay- That is what everyone told me as well, but I've read that it is possible for them to start elsewhere.

Thank you everyone for your help. I did call her doctor earlier today when I noticed them, and she has an appointment in the morning. And to Balagan- they do not have a back door that I am aware of lol. I think I will call them in the morning though and let them know what I suspect in case there are any precautions I need to take before taking her in.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• when i was a kid and i had chicken pox my mama put me in a oatmeal bath...eww. but it did help with the itching..if she is itching
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Yes it most certainly is! My son had them last month! He has had all the vaccinations, been exposed to them as a baby, then he gave them to me!!! Yes, me!! And I'm 36!!! I worked in hospitals and nursing homes and have been exposed to god knows what!
    With the vaccine, he won't get them AS BAD though.
    Take your child to the doc to get a firm diagnosis. If he's in school, the school is required to report this to the health department.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I have had the chicken pox 4 times. My husband got them for the 1st time when he was 25 and he almost died. His dr. told him then to avoid children with them because he could get them again and it could be fatal. I think that the vaccine is silly because it doesn't keep you from getting them.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2010