Honey?

Is honey good for a 1 year old with a runny nose and cough? If so, how does it help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i guess you could give them tea with honey..... warm tea is good for colds
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• A spoonful of honey always helps my son clear a cough when he is coming down with something. Its one of those home remedies but it works especially bc he is too young for cough medicine. Little Remedies has good stuff too though
    1st_LadyD

Answer by 1st_LadyD at 10:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• They aren't supposed to have straight honey until 15 months or so, some say even longer, because of a risk of botulism. Call your dr for a recommendation, but I probably wouldn't try honey unless you made weak lemon tea with it in, and maybe only if the honey was poiled with the water so it might kill bacteria.
    Try some baby vicks on his neck and chest instead (it is even supposed to work on a cough if you put it on his feet), and run a humidifier in his room when he's sleeping.
    Anonymous

• There are a lot of warnings about infants and honey...not supposed to have it apparently...I'd do more research than just CM if I were you...?
    Anonymous

• Honey contains botulism and should not be given to a child under age two.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010