How to get my 5yr old to stop coughing?

My dd is 5 1/2 now. A year ago this month she started coughing so bad that she would loose her breath and begin to wheeze. I took her to the doc and they put her on albuteral inhaler, did a pulmonary function test, xray of her nose and throat. She continued to cough until school was out. Now she is starting all over again. Its not just a normal cough it gets to where she wakes up from a sleep and cant breathe. I have to keep the inhaler ready at all times through the night. Now the doctors want me to take her back to the pulmonary function doctor. Im so tired and I feel so bad for her. She gets maybe 5 hours of sleep then goes to school. She is just pitiful. She has had problems with rhinitis and sinusitis since she turned 2 years old. Finally last year they took her tonsils and adenoids out. We keep a cool air vaporizer in her room. What else???

ellegrl

Asked by ellegrl at 10:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• My son got a terrible cough in the fall and after about a month and 4-5 doctor appointments with no improvement, we got a nebulizer for him. He got 3-4 nebulizer treatments a day, with various medicines, and it helped clear up the cough pretty quickly. We continued after it was clear to make sure it stays away. He is 4. We had just rented the nebulizer, but he's coughing again so we're just going to buy one this time.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I hate the vaporizer. Make sure there isn't a speck of mold in it or you'd really have issues. If they took the adenoids/tonsils, that should have helped. Is this a daily thing? How bad is her asthma or has she been diagnosed with it? She may need a stronger medication. My son is like this when he's sick. His cough is a nightmare and we manage it w/ Tylenol, Delsym, albuterol and this nasal spray. They suggested we take the adenoids/tonsils too but we've not gotten there yet. I would get a second opinion. She shouldn't be coughing day in and out. Is it better in the summer?
    Anonymous

• Do you need a prescription for a nebulizer? I dont know why they haven't given her one yet? Today she started trying out her 3rd inhaler. My heart is breaking sitting here and listening to her in the next room. Omg this has been going on since last Friday.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 11:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• her meds are Proventil, zyrtec, cingular, and nasonex
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 11:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Has she been to an allergist?
    Anonymous

• yes the summer through fall is fine, then as soon as it gets cold its just awful. the filter is new in the vaporizer. She takes all those meds dailey with no improvement. I keep taking her to the doctors and they send me home feeling like im a dumb ass
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 11:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• no she hasnt seen a allergist
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 11:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• she doesn't have asthma???

my SKs have it and my daughter most likely has it (she is only 18 months). my SS use to take pulmicort nebulizer breathing treatments twice a day when his asthma was not controlled well, and albuteral treatments as needed for a cough. Once it was more under control it went down to once a day for the pulmicort. my daughter had a tough time a little while ago. she is suppose to have pulimicort twice a day, and albuteral as needed. you can have it up to every 4 hours. they said with my SS that if the albuteral didn't make a difference in 10 minutes to do it again, and then if it had no improvement to go to the ER. They have put all the kids on steriods to clear up their coughs when things get really bad. both my SKs and my daughter take a preventative (pulmicort, advair) daily. my SKs take singular for allergies. they have had medicaid different times so we have a nebulizer.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Food/environmental allergy panel....

sorry typing one handed
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 11:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• last year when she took the pulmonary function test perfectly, so no asthma. Now they want her to retake it. WTF
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 11:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2010