How do I work out this situation with my toddler? Any advice?

Ok ladies, I'm in a bind.

I'm going out of town to visit relatives, and will be staying in a hotel. I am bringing my 19 month old daughter with me.

At home, she has her own room, and sleeps by herself. But, there will only be ONE motel room. She usually goes to bed 5-6 hours before I do.

How do we share the hotel room, when

A) she is used to sleeping in her own room by herself, and
B) she goes to bed way earlier than I do?

Will her sleep schedule be all messed up when we return home a week later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in General Parenting

• I share hotel rooms with my kids every summer (and did when they were babies as well.) I would get roll aways or cribs, you can bring your pack and play if you have one and it's convenient. I put them to bed at bed time (usually a bit later because it is summer and vacation) take my computer and a book and head to the out door (don't forget your key.) I would sit just outside the door for about an hour until everyone was asleep. Then I'd turn on the tv or watch a movie on my computer.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• First of all, toddlers are resilient. What happens on this trip can be undone when you get home. Don't panic, just make some minor adjustments on the trip. You might want to try going to bed earlier with her, or let her fall asleep then watch TV or whatever after she falls asleep. It's not that big of deal Mom.
    Anonymous

• We did that when my DD was 12 months and she knew it was a different situation and it was all fine she slept even if we were awake, I think she will be ok, she might want to sleep with you though and that is ok it is for security.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I was worried about this with my lil one. He had never been on a long trip and we took a six almost seven hour trip. Well the car ride was hectic, but he adjusted on the way home. While we were there he had no problems going to sleep, but he wanted daddy not mommy. I guess he felt safer with daddy there...There is no telling how each child will react. Just be extra cautious when she is sleeping not to starlte her awake. She should do just fine.
    Anonymous

• You can get a crib or roll-away bed from the hotel

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We've stayed in hotels with my two LOs and it was surprisingly easy. We layed in bed with them at bedtime and they might have gone to bed a little later than usual, but that was it. We just stayed awake and watched TV after they were asleep. They were fine once we got home and went right back to sleeping in their own bed at the right time.

Take advantage if the hotel has a pool. Tire them out.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• When my nephew was about that age (he lives with my parents and so did I at that time - before I was married) we had a fire. No one was hurt - Thank God! - but we had to move into a hotel for 6 weeks. We set up a crib in the hotel room. When it was his bed time we'd just lay him in the crib and dim the lights. Then we'd watch a movie or something on TV while he fell asleep. When we went back to the house finally after 6 whole weeks, he had no problems at all getting back into his own room. In fact, we used that as an excuse to transition him into a toddler bed and he did just great.

You'll figure something out that works, and when you get home I doubt that your child will be get right back into her routine. Kids know that when they're away from home things are different, and they know that things go back to the way they were when they return.

It will be just fine! :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We had to share hotel rooms with ours when they were babies when we traveled with my husband on business trips. It was a little tricky, but we worked it out. We took the pack n play and set it up in the corner of the room and kept the baby up a little later than usual and then we all went to bed at the same time. It didn't foul up their schedule when we got back.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• my daughter never sleeps well when we go anywhere. i get very little sleep. she is great at home in her own room and bed, but if she can see me...i am screwed. once we get home its fine. she sleeps like normal....if not more because she is so tired from not sleeping well previous day or so.

sorry i can't help you any. i tried having her sleep in a pack n' play once, that worked okay, but it had to be in a different room at my moms. and at my cousin's i had her sleep in a twin bed, but could never make it through the night without waking up. so when we have to sleep in the same room, we sleep together. as i said, neither of us sleep very well. She is 18 months old....well almost 19 months now.

Good luck.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2010