Lobbyists from foreign governments can now buy into our elections, worried?

Last week, the 5-4 Supreme Court ruling in the Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission decision invalidated a sixty-three year-old ban on corporate money in federal elections. The ruling gives corporations essentially the same rights as individuals in their ability to spend freely on political advertising, even if those advertisements explicitly advocate the election or defeat of a federal candidate. One consequence of this decision is that foreign corporations with U.S.-subsidiaries are likely to be able to now spend unlimited amounts on American elections.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/01/27/foreign-lobbying-elections/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• o like that doesn't end up happening anyway..... one way or another. now it's just easier
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The Saudi Princes put their BFF Georgie Bush in charge before This just makes it easier

Anonymous

• You think that didn't happen already? And no I don't have a link, but I sure don't doubt that it has occurred...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Everyone who votes should check out WHO they are voting for. And vote for the person who would do the best job, in their view. It doesn't matter how much money is behind them. For instance, Wal-mart has ads everywhere. I don't shop there. I don't like them, but they have more money than God. It makes no difference to me. I shop where I can get what I need for my family, in a shop that is owned & managed by people who stand for what I stand for. Wal-mart doesn't, no matter how many ads they have out there.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I find it very convenient that the conservative judges pushed this and passed it while the conservatives are not the ones with the majority in power. Hmmm...and who do you think will benefit when every foreign corporation with American holdings can pump money into the campaigns of individual who will further their agenda? And Obama is the big bad wolf, huh? Whatever!

AnonIsEasiest

Answer by AnonIsEasiest at 11:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• The pubs don't care.

They can't raise as much money from CITIZENS so they NEED to be BOUGHT OUT..

.I mean FINANCIALLY supported by BIG business

Anonymous

• 29again..I totally agree with you..although I'm not happy about the Supreme Court ruling, I'm not so naive to believe that corporate money wasn't already funding campaigns, but not then and not now will I vote for someone just because Verizon is backing them, or not vote for someone just because they receive campaign money from, oh, let's say, Pfizer...whatever...how about let's do our research, not be fooled, ruled, and influenced by money and advertisements!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• They have for yrs. Foreign entities hire American lobby firms all the time.

www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Patton_Boggs

www.id-today.com/2005/.../introducing-indonesian-lobbyist-firms.html

www.scribd.com/.../Foreign-Companies-Selling-to-the-US-Govt-B2G
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Is the ruling constitutional? Show me where is the ruling unconstitutional?

The Supreme Court did their job.  Free Speech, no matter the speaker... That is what our Constitution Protects.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You leftys should be happy. NOW, Michael Moore can advertise all the movies he wants during campaign time... :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010