Breaking 6 mo. old from his bad habit

My 6 mo. old has been rocked to sleep with a bottle in his mouth since he was born. I've learned my lesson cause he won't stay asleep unless your holding him!! So we have been letting him CIO a little the last couple of nights. I HATE doing that! My strategy from the get go was to not let him do that. But now it just seems we've spoiled him cause he cries if we put him down and I can't get away from him for just a second even to post this. But my main concern is to know how to break him of this bad habit we've created for him. Any suggestions or ideas??? Cause honestly, getting him to sleep at night is worse than labor. I would rather go through labor again just so I didn't have to fight him to go to sleep!

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 11:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did that bottle to sleep with one mine and I SWORE I would never do it again it was HELL with lots screaming. My two youngest I breastfed and we co-slept. Neither of them could sleep without their head on a boob. I can't offer any tips or tricks personally other than try to wear him out well before bedtime and be prepared for screaming. If you can suffer it out a while longer once they are around a year they usually kind give up the night obsession with bottle/breast, I know that's no help I'm sorry!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Just had to add, I firmly believe that you cannot spoil a baby! Some babies need a little more love and attention than others, CIO doesn't work for everyone and it's very stressful on a baby. My first was content to be left alone, my last two wanted to be held ALL the time. It's hard on you, but at about a year they really start to pull away from you anyway. Most of the things we are taught as parents are societal norms, it's not natural. Think back to the caveman days, if you were to put an infant down and walk away at any given time your baby would not last long. A child's instincts are to cling to their mother and instincts are hard to fight. IMO, if your babies happy your doing the right thing.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 11:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• OK...i'll give you a little bit of hope...lol I rocked my daughter from the time she was born until she was about 18 months. Then we would put her down and say, ok, time for bed, it's big girl night night time...rock her /hug her standing up and put her in bed. If she cried, we'd let her cry a bit and she usually knocked out ..... It gets better even though you may not think so. Just enjoy the time you have with him as a baby!
    Anonymous

• you can't spoil a baby!

i just got my daughter to sleep in her bed yesterday .. i put her in her crib around the time she gets fussy and wants to sleep she cried for 5 mins then i went in there told her she was a big girl now and that it was bed time she was still crying when i left i was going to go back in there in 10 mins but she had fallen asleep i checked on her and she was passsssssssssed out! try it btw i co sleep with her too .. i miss her so much when shes not sleeping right next to me its really hard for me... even to hear her cry was torture .. but it worked just awesomely
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• The onlly bad habit is the bottle, due to the risk of baby bottle mouth. Try roclking WITHOUT it. It's NEVer bad to rock them to sleep. NEVER. They ALL learn to sleep on their own WHEN THEY ARE READY...and that has nothing at all to do with calendars or what YOU want.

Pay attention to HIS cues and sleepy times. You'll all wind up sleeping better.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Use a sling, "wear him down" (let him fall asleep by being on your body).
    Live your life and nurture your child within that space.
    No need to hurt him or yourself with CIO. There are nurturing options!

He is unhappy and you are unhappy because it is not how we are designed to raise our children.
    Go ahead and pick him up and hold him. If you need a carrier to make that easier, it's worth it! ;-)

If you "train" him to sleep happily on you/in your arms then the bottle will no longer be necessary for sleep.
    Eventually, you won't have to wear him either.

It is all temporary~ I promise. Investing now is worth it!
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• He's not spoiled. If you are going to put him down wait until he is in a deep sleep. Babies have much shorter sleep cycles than adults. Wait for limp limbs, steady breathing, fully relaxed face before putting him down. that is deep sleep. You can put him to sleep anywhere during the day in the same room as you are or wear him in a wrap/sling. Do normal noise and w and dactivity. At night keep it mellow in a crib or with you in bed. learn his patterns and cures don't fight them.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• http://www.askdrsears.com/HTML/7/T070200.ASP -- Facts about sleep 
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070900.asp -- HIgh needs babies
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070300.asp  -- 31 ways to encourage sleep based on baby's needs and personality

amileegirl