Can your breasts leak milk (or colostrum) when you aren't pregnant or nursing?

It's been over three years since I've had my child. In the last few months my breasts have leaked colostrum twice. Does anyone know why this is? Yesterday they were very tender and that's when I noticed they were leaking. I know it could mean I'm pregnant (I'm not). Are there any other reasons?

Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• i dont think stress would do much...you should go have your breast looked at anyways. I don't want to scare you but I asked the same question a while back and learned that one of the first signs of breast cancer is leaking of the breast and i was so scarred...it wouldnt hurt to just see a doc
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• its been 5 yrs since ive had mine. I just got off depo over the summer and my right boob was leaking. The doctor said it was probably my horomones
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I would have to say your hormones are changing and its really nothing to be worried about. If you very worried you should call your doctor and see what he/she or just call the doctors office and ask them and maybe they can also help you in case you didn't want to been seen by the doctor. Good luck and god bless...
    Anonymous

• Thank you girls. One more question though. Why would my hormones be changing? I have the Mirena and have done nothing different.
    Anonymous

• Would stress change my hormones? I have been going through a lot of stress lately.
    Anonymous

• is mirena a hormonal bc? idk if it is. and how long have you had it?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• mine started doing it randomly, i took a test and nope and it kept on. nothing i can do about it. at least it's not alot.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• Yes the Mirena releases hormones. I have had it for 3 years.
    Anonymous

• When I was a kid, my mom actually had a few lumps taken out of her breasts. Now I am kind of nervous.
    Anonymous

• i know i freaked out when someone told me that so i made a doc appt right away and let them examine me and they told me everything seemed fine and it was probably hormones. I'm sure its okay ...just get checked.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2010