why oh why is the pill so expensive?

so our new insurance doesn't cover perscriptions (dont even get me started). i've been on the pill for forever but its $35 a month! no, we arent living on welfare but we struggle. i like being on the pill, we have too much income to get it from the free clinic, so any birth control suggestions?

yes, go ahead and tell me how bad the pill is for me, if you want. i'm thinking of going off everything and just using condoms, but isnt that why i got married? so i didnt have to use condoms anymore!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2010 in Health

• i dont know, but i have insurance, and its coverage is great, and the pill is still $20 a month. You might could try the health department and try getting it through there if it starts getting too expensive.
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• I hope this doesn't sound rude....or tmi...but I don't really consider the pill expensive. I can't take them, I have a HORRID reaction to them. I hate condoms myself, and for us well....they end up being way more expensive than the pill. Right now I'm using an insert called encare, it's a vaginal foam with spermicide. It doesn't have the success rate of the pill or condoms but it's more affordable and it actually kind of enhances things a bit for us. It's my favorite non-hormonal method so far. If you feel comfortable with you may want to consider something like mirena.
    Anonymous

• sorry, totally skipped the income deal with getting it from the clinic. i dont know any other advice :(
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2010

• i've worked at the clinic that offers programs for birth control. They dont check on the income you prove. if you tell them you are not working or jsut report one income, they will not do any background check. if you get desprate enought.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• how about switching to generic? mine was only $15/month but i cant take them anymore because i get migranes from all forms of the pill. the only thing i could use is nuva ring and with out insurance was about $90/month. and now were TTC so we dont need anything! :)
    EmilyAnn1012

Answer by EmilyAnn1012 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• health department or planned parenthood!! Gotta love free BC!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• ask your doc for samples - if you leave the office with few months worth is will lessen the blow. How about a diaphragm... do they still do that?? LOL I never had one but knew ppl who swear by them.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Before I had full coverage insurance through the military, I was paying 20/mon for mine at Planned Parenthood. states may vary though in prices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It has to do with the corruption of the pharmaceutical industry

What about a diaphragm? They work without hormones and have no side effects. They never caused a stroke, infertility or PID; you won't gain weight, get depressed, or lose your libido; your periods won't be affected. They have never been the subject of class action lawsuits and are instantly reversible.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• ask your prescribing doc for samples. they have tons of them.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2010