Do you think it is ok to "recycle" a birthday theme for your child?

My daughter LOVES Sesame Street-specifically Elmo. Last year, for her first birthday we had an Elmo themed birthday. It was crazy, I baked a 3D Elmo Cake, and all of the decorations were Elmo-plates, napkins, silverware, wrapping paper, streamers, ballons, yard signs, a jumper, and even a customized sign with Elmo. Anyhow, her second birthday is coming up, and there is no doubt that EVERYONE will remember her first, but I cannot think of any other theme we could use this year. My mom suggested we do "Sesame Street" this year but I had a lot of Sesame stuff in with the Elmo last year. I just don't know if that is lame? what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's up to you. I really doubt your daughter cares. Do you remember your 1st or 2nd bday party? I don't. Do what makes you happy.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• First of all I'd have had to have a theme for my kids parties before I could recycle them. Who cares if it's the same theme? If you are constantly trying to out-do last years party, can you imagine what you'll have to do for her 5th or 10th? She loves Elmo, do Elmo.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• OP here: Ooooh no, I am in no way trying to "out-do" her first birthday. We're not inviting near as many people, not doing near as much as far as decor, gifts, etc. I'm just wondering if that is tacky to recycle the theme.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm kinda neurotic about stuff so no, I wouldn't unless they just positively demanded it. Luckily for me they haven't stayed attached to one thing for long enough to worry about it. I would take her to the party store, walk her down the kiddie aisle and see if she gets excited over anything.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'd absolutely do the Elmo again! Elmo's HOT! It would be different if it were E.T. or something, but Elmo is still everyone's favorite. Besides, the less you spend on decorations, the more you can spend on presents or goody bags. I vote for Elmo. PS-Nobody but me remembers that our son's 1st bday was "Happy Faces" that I recycled from an old Bible Study that I did before that. It's not tacky, it's practical.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2010