Is it normal 4 an 18th month old to cry when picked up from babysitter?

For a week now my 18th month old crys whenI drop him off at the baby-sitter, but when I pick him up at night he cried today. Is this normal? If so, why?

firsttimemot444

Asked by firsttimemot444 at 12:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd say it's normal. My son used to cry when I left him at daycare when it was new... but now he loves it! Sometimes he runs away when he see's I'm there because he wants to keep playing. (he's also 18 months)
    He was probably having a good time and knew that he had to go home.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:36 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• of course, omg when i was watching the little boy i used to. he was 3 months wheni started watching him. hes 3 now. but ever since he became a daddies boy to fully understand.. he screams until his parents are gone. when they leave hes perfectly happy. of course remb hes only 18months he needs/wants you! now if he was 5 or 7 years old and screaming i would worry.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 12:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• normal Separation anxiety going on here. Very normal for an 18mo old. Also transitions are hard at that age too. Combo those things and this is what you get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would say its pretty normal bc at that age they think you are leaving and never coming back. If you see marks or something else then worry. My kids did that to me when I would take them to my parents house and then leave. Just take him there give hm a kiss and hug and what not take him somewhere in the house and try to sneak away that's what I used to do and my sister also done this so you wouldn't feel so back when they cry. Good luck..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• very normal and as someone who used to be a daycare provider i can tell you that 90% of the time as soon as the door closes they are not crying anymore. I always thought it was funny, I had to explain it to one mom who was freaking out, i finally left a window open and told her to listen at the window after she closed the door and what she heard was her daughter stopped crying as soon as the door closed and then started playing and giggling and saying oooooo PUPPY! and then chased the cat (she called cats puppies lol) The mom called me after and said i can not believe that little stinker! Poor mom had been going to work feeling horrid about leaving her lol.

My oldest would cry when i would pick him up from the sitter, he loved being there and they were our neighbor so many nights he got to stay a little later and i would hang out.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yes. Transitions are hard for little ones. It would be helpful if the sitter prepared him: ten minutes until Mommy comes, five minutes until Mommy comes - this was it will be less of a shock and an easier transition.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• my daughter does this to me and her father all the time. When her dad comes to pick her up, she cries, then is happy as a peach the rest of the time.. and when I go to pick her up, she cries and is happy as a peach the rest of the time.. it's just that she was playing, and didn't want to stop to get in the car for a car ride. Regardless of where we were going..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2010