Tattoo & I didn't know I was pregnant! Help?

So I got my first session for my sleeve (Dec. 1st) & I'm pretty sure it was even before I ovulated, the 2nd session to finish it up was about a month later on Jan. 8th. Aftering figuring things out...I should have been around 6 weeks by then. That's going off the 40 weeks from LMP so technically I ovulated around Dec. 4th or 5th, so I've only been pregnant since then.

I spotted on Dec. 20th & have been pretty busy so I figured it was just a short period, just found out I was pregnant after taking a test because I started noticing the signs.

What should I do, what's guna happen? I can't get into the doctor for a couple weeks. This whole thing has totally thrown me off & I feel so dumb that I didn't realize my period was just implantation bleeding.

Any advice will help, thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• call a drs office and ask to talk to a nurse- even if you are not being seen I would imagine that they will give you advice. Tattoo parlors are pretty sanitary these days- so the risk of infectons are pretty low. Call an office just to ease your mind and get some qualified advice. Congratulations!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My friend got a tattoo when she was 7 months preg. Nothing happened to her or to baby. But I would have to say its not safe to due while you are preg a tattoo is an open wound that you have to keep clean so you dont get an infection. And you didn't know that you were preg while getting the tattoo so you shouldn't feel stupid about yourself. I would say you are fine and I had my period for 3 months with my second child, and the doctor told me that is normal and it happens often in some women. But everyone's body is different and is telling you something. And if you are very worried got to the ER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• The reason you aren't supposed to get tattoos while pregnant is because of the risk of infection, either from the needle while getting the tat or after while it's healing. Pregnancy greatly reduces your immune system's ability to fight off infection, so even things that may not have caused problems for you normally can be big issues when pregnant. As long as your tattoo artist used fresh needles and everything was sanitary you're probably okay as far as that goes, so the only risk now is that your tat may get infected while healing. Just keep it clean, follow the instructions of your tattoo artist, and you should be fine. If you want to call your doc and ask the nurse for any extra advice it couldn't hurt, but you'll probably be fine.
    stargazer5585

Answer by stargazer5585 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• OP: Well I have many tattoos & always take very good care of them. Plus the shop was voted best in my state so hopefully those two things decrease the chance of an infection.

I'm more worried about the fact that it's such a large piece, I already had a partial quarter sleeve & now pretty much all of it is covered. Does it hurt the baby? I mean, it hurts me so I'm worried about him/her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I really think the main concern is hepatitis, or other infection. As long as the parlour/instruments are clean, and you continue to take care of it, you should be ok. Just to be safe though, I would probably wait to get it completed till after baby is born, or if you choose to BF, till you are done doing that as well.

Congratulations! And don't feel dumb about not realizing you were pregnant. If I saw blood, I'd just assume it was a period too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I got a tattoo while i was pregnant, i didnt know it either. I got the tattoo on like a sunday, and took a test at the end of the week. The only thing that happened with mine, the yellow didnt stick well..no infection no risk to the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I got a tattoo while I was 9 months pregnant the next day my water broke. NOthing happened to the baby and she is a perfectly healthy 3 year old! Unless you are getting it on your tummy region then don't worry, You're not a bad mom, or mom to be, you didn't know!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i wouldnt worry. if its not infected then i dont see it harming anything. its not like they are going to cut it off you cus your preggo
    Anonymous