I'm not bashing, I just am trying to understand just what exactly is Obama celebrated as such a hero for?

I know, it's really awesome that an African America has been elected president, but that doesn't make him an automatic success as a leader. Why is he just a hot shot when he really hasn't done anything yet? Why the Nobel Peace Prize? Just a simple question, what exactly has he done for his country, besides being a good model for African Americans of what is possible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Voting Present is not impressive enough to earn a Nobel Peace Prize, which coincedently was decided upon shortly after winning the election. Maybe he got it because hes black. What? Was I not supposed to say that? LOL
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 12:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• He's not even a good role model for AA. He couldn't even stand up for himself when someone of his OWN party says "Obama is light skinned with no negro dialect". He just didn't care and was even defending it! But if I were to say such ignorant things... I would get an earful from the lefties. The only thing that makes him a "Hero" to the majority is he is not Bush.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Wow Crissy, I wouldn't give someone the time of day if they said something so hateful about my origins as the person you quoted did. That is extremely insulting and just as disgusting.

As for the original question asked, go the Nobel's website and it will tell you why they selected Obama. Obama has made some strides in his first year, I'm unable to paste links because I'm on my iPhone but a search will show that to you. It just depends on whether you agree him or not whether you'll see the things he's done and is doing as achievements or setbacks.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• What strides has he done sweet heart? Made America look soft? Spent more money than any other President in history? If Obama was white would he even have been elected? Been on tv more than any other President in history before? Continue this surge to turn our beautiful Capitlist Country into a Socialist one? He didn't do anything impressive when he was in Chicago, didn't do anything while in Congress so tell me dear, what has your President done to deserve my respect?
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 12:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• OP here: The nobel prize website says he won "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."
    Since when does someone win 1.4 million dollars for EFFORT? Anyone one of our military men or women risking their lives and to bring peace and freedom to strangers deserves this a thousand times more than a man who drinks martinis as he flies his personal jet to countries where he kisses royal tushes and gets his kissed in return for bowing to leaders who are slaughtering our wives, husbands, sons, daughters.... Nobel peace prize my *&@$! Is it bring peace to play our loved ones lives against each other in national chess game we call a war?

What is peace, anyway, these days?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Glickstein, first please don't call me sweetheart, you're not my grandmother and we're not close enough for you to use terms of endearment with me. Unless you're my secret lesbian lover that I didn't know about. Obama has passed legislation that has supported his agenda since getting into office. Just because you don't agree with what he has done doesn't mean he hasn't done it. I'm unable to copy and paste on the device I'm on, but a google search of Obama's achievements will give you some results including one from the DoD.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 1:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Anon, President Obama didn't ask for the Nobel Peace Prize, if you don't like their reasoning then tell them. But I would recommend you look at the history of more recent winners. It's more like a global popularity award.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 1:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• OP, have you looked up the reasons behind him being presented with this award?

Judging by your answer, I would assume not. It's a PEACE prize. Here are some copied bits from the presentation speech:

U.S.A. is now paying its bills to the U.N.; joining various committees, and acceding to important conventions.; Torture is forbidden; the President is doing what he can to close Guantanamo; Human rights and international law are guiding principles; Under Obama's leadership, the U.N. Security Council gave its unanimous support to the vision of a world without nuclear weapons; an improved atmosphere in the negotiations on strategic nuclear weapons between the U.S.A. and the Russian Federation

If you need more, look at it yourself. http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2009/presentation-speech.html

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• From http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_Barack_Obama%27s_achievements:

He was second in his class at Harvard Law School, and one of the youngest Illinois state senators, as well as US Senators.

He has helped pass major measures designed to combat the international trafficking of nuclear weapons, promote the use of alternative fuels, and open up the budget process to greater public scrutiny. Throughout these efforts, he's brought Democrats and Republicans together.

He is the first African American President of the United States, and the fifth-youngest person to become President. As the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, Barack Obama has inspired billions of people across the globe to take part in their political community, especially the youth populations.

Yep, that would do it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• 29again, are you really using wiki answers as a source? Yikes!
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 2:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010