Should she be induced? have you ever heard of this? Will baby be ok?

Long story short. My SIL has been to 3 drs who are all telling her she needs to be induced/may end up w/ c-sec cause her baby is too small. The last dr finally elaborated to say most of the baby-brain, heart, lungs- are in the 22% for size, that alone is not the concern, except that her abdomen is only in the 5%. They didn't specifically use the term IUGR, but they think the baby is missing some essential nutrient and that breastmilk should help. I'm just nervous cause she is 38 wks and baby hasn't dropped & she's not dilated at all. I'm also weary of the idea of iducing a small baby. Could she simply not be ready? But why is her abdomen not growing? Anyone else had this? Did the baby turn out ok???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didnt have a small baby or a situation like this but i was induced at 38 weeks twice and we were fine. That is very scary for your SIL I hope everything goes well.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• 2 of my children were born at 38wks (no induction). both very healthy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think it's very odd that they would want to deliver a small baby. And i have never heard of a woman's abdomen not growing. join the group Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth and ask the ladies there. Many of them are midwives or doulas and might be able to provide more accurate info.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• *OP*
    I should elaborate. It is the babies abdomen that isn't growing. Mom is gaining wiehgt, baby isn't (at least "not enough")
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I think she should follow the 3 different dr.'s advice and be induced. keeping baby baking at this point is doing nothing, there is more chance for growth on the outside since they can diagnose what is wrong and fix it if necessary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I was induced with both my kids at 38 weeks, but they were both over 9 lbs & my liver was shutting down among other issues. I don't know about your SIL's problem, but the being induced at 38 weeks is not unheard of. Hope it all turns out OK for her & the baby!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• That sounds strange to me, babies get the most being in the womb as long as possible. They can try an induction but if it doesn't work they should let it be and not do a c section if the baby isn't ready a c section can be far worse labor itself helps with babies lungs etc. I would do research and talk to other doctors it just doesn't sound right to me, babies can grow slower at the end.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If the baby is having IUGR, sometimes it is in the best interest of the baby to be born. If the baby isn't growing or has stopped growing something is going wrong in there & it could harm the baby to stay in too long in that environment. My daughter was induced at 35 weeks because she had stopped growing & my fluid was seriously low. The doctors decided that she would be better off out here then in there because obviously my body was not doing what it should to help her grow. She was in NICU for a week. She is now 3 & she is still rather small but she is very healthy. I am glad we went ahead with the induction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I saw you post this in the pregnancy group. There was a mama who had her baby recently, at 38/39 weeks I think. From the belly pictures from the day before her delivery, she didn't even look pregnant. She looked like she had maybe gotten a small beer belly, but nowhere near pregnant. Her baby ended up being 6lbs+ and healthy.
    Pandapanda

Answer by Pandapanda at 4:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If 3 different doctors have told her she needs to be induced than she probably needs to be induced. I know we're all about natural child birth here on CM but come on lets not be stupid. doctors are trained medical professionals and can give better advice than a midwife who's only training is to assist with the birth of the baby. I pretty sure most of us would agree we'd take an induction over having our baby die or be sickly just so we can have a home birth.
    Kalebs_mommy23

Answer by Kalebs_mommy23 at 4:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2010