Buying a car..

We need to buy a car, used, but every time I buy one it seems like the next week it's broken down. Anyone have any tips? I usually do the buy here pay here, I'm not sure how leases and loans work, and I'm just all around confused. Can someone please help me?

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 1:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Carfax for sure - AND - Consumer Reports. You have to decide what you are looking for exactly...
    1. 2 door or 4
    2. SUV, Sedan or Coup
    3. Price Range
    4. The make you want -
    5. Non-negotiables... leg room in back, sun roof, low mileage, good mpg, 4x4... etc

Feel free to PM me and I will help you as much as I can!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If you can. go to a credit union for your loan. Best rates around. They'll help you figure out how much car you can afford.

Do you have a good mechanic who will look over a used car before you buy? That will help you avoid the breakdown problem. Although if you CAN manage the payments for something new with a good warranty, it's worth it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• From personal experience , I wouldnt do the buy here pay here people. I would go through a dealership that sold used cars. They seem to have a higher standard.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Carfax is a must.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We got a great deal on a used car, from a private seller, through Craigslist. Before we bought the car, we took it to a mechanic-friend. www.kbb.com is a great source to check prices.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You can usually get lower prices from private sellers, but you need to have a mechanic look it over before you buy it - even if you have to pay them $50 or something, it would be worth it not to end up with a car that needs major work! Also, ask a lot of questions - why are they selling, how long have they had it, where did they get it from, what garage did they use for repairs/ maintenance, do they have maintenance records, etc.

Answer by missanc at 7:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Why not take the car to a mechanic before you buy? Thats what we did on my sons used car he wanted. They did a quick check on all the big things and checked out the A/C and tires etc. We live in TX and it's a must after the hurricanes and flooding in the south. You have to look out for yourself.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 28, 2010