how do you start???

so my son is 18 months old and i want to intro him into potty training. i am just unsure how to... I have a few books and i think a dvd somewhere and i have read him the books and talked to him a bit and showed him the potty but i dont think he understands it. he knows where the bathroom is and i know he holds his pee and poop and lets it out all at once he does that 3 times or 4 times a day. I just dont know how to start the process. any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I suggest that you wait until he shows the signs of being interested. (able to tell you he needs to go, able to dress/undress himself, etc.) But, it's OK to introduce him to the idea, and I think you should, but he needs to set the pace. We started at 18 months letting him sit on the Elmo potty in the living room, we watched the DVD's, and sang the songs, but he wasn't interested, so we waited a few months. I had also read that boys usually don't start until 2 y/o, so we didn't push it. We've done more "intro" about every 3 months since. Every time that we "tried" again, he seemed to pick up more and more of the idea so it's been a long process, but he'll get it eventually. He'll be 3 y/o in a couple of months and we'll try again. PS-Our son wasn't verbal much until 30 months, so that's why we haven't pressed the issue.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would wait until he can vocalize that he has to go potty. When he can start to vocalize the terms for the potty, you and him can both understand and learn together how it is time to for him to use it and when he has to use it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:49 AM on Jan. 28, 2010