How do you store your potatoes and onions?

I want to buy in bulk, and am curious how to store them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I have a large wooden potato bin in my garage but I store onions in my fridge.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would store them in a cool, dry place. A basement that isn't heated usually works. I grew up in Idaho and of course, we raised potatoes on our farm. We didn't do them commercially, just for our family to use. We had a root cellar under the house where we kept potatoes and onions all winter. Personally, I don't have a good place to store a large amount of them so I just store what I have room for in my refrigerator.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Do you put anything in the box? I was told to pack them in sawdust....or straw.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yeah store them on the counter or something. I accidentally put them in a bread basket and they made their way (potatoes) down to the bottom. Well it started stinking REALLY bad in the kitchen liike a dirty diaper. My mom found it..rotten. She was like WHO did that! lol and as for onions keep them near the potatoes like out on the counter. Has to be iin a cool place or they will rot. Both of them. Or you can put the onions in the fridge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I am looking at getting 50 lbs of potatoes. I can't put that on my counter. But thanks for answering! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• potatoes cool dark place. and onions never in the fridge (they won't keep as long) just make sure you don't store them together onions let off a gas that rots potatoes.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I keep mine in a hanging basket

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I keep both, in separate bins, in the pantry where it is cool and dark.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We grow a year's worth of potatoes in our garden every year. We put them in large boxes in our basement - it's not heated, but it's not freezing. As long as we weed through them often (every couple of weeks or so) and pull out anything that's starting to go bad, we still have our own potatoes to eat in the spring (we plant in April and harvest around the first freeze, usually in October). For onions, I just buy a 3lb bag every now and then, use about one onion a week, I just leave them in the mesh bag they come in in a cool area of my kitchen or in the basement. I've found that refrigerating them does NOT prolong their life, it makes them shrivel quicker. Same with potatoes. I keep the 2 as far away from each other as I possibly can, as storing them together causes them both to go bad faster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2010