is it bad that i want to get rid of all the toys??

My daughters have toys EVERYWHERE!!!! its getting really annoying, i mean, i honesly want to throw them all away. i've given some away, but it just seems like they're multiplying!!! can someone please tell me that i'm not crazy and its OK to get rid of them.

scottshoney

Asked by scottshoney at 1:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Every two or three months we go through both my nine year old and my two year olds toys. Anything broken, missing parts, or outgrown either gets tossed or donated. I also weed out all of the cheap McDonalds toys and things like those that aren't going to last. While we are doing it we organize everything. They both have a decent sized toy box that they are allowed to fill up with their favorite stuff. The extra toys get boxed up and stored until the kids get bored with the toys they have out and then we swap them. We sell and buy second hand toys so they are cheaper so when they have things that no longer interest them we get rid of them. I also have the rule that they are allowed one small basket of toys downstairs and you have to take them with you when you go to bed. I had to do this to save my sanity. I want my kids to play but I don't want to feel like I live in an isle in ToysRUs. Maybe this would help you??
    LuvNMyBbs

Answer by LuvNMyBbs at 6:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• oh honey! you are not alone! I really need to sort through my kids' toys.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I know what you mean. There is nothing worse than getting up in the morning and stepping on a f'ing lego. Oh my god, i just want to chunk every lego in the house away.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• but, do they really need all these toys, can't they just have 5 each??
    or am i just being silly?
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 1:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• 5 each isn't much... especially because kids go through spurts. I would say a toy box of small toys is fine. Kids also need room for their big toys, such as a doll house or other boy toys that take up more room.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 2:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Why would you limit her imaginations like that? Children learn through playing. Toys are a part of childhood. If it's an issue get bins and seperate them, designate a specific area for them, encourage her to pick her toys up before she moves on to something else, ect..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Trust me some day....sooner than you expect.....you wish you could have toys laying around. They grow up so darn fast. I long for the days of tonka trucks and power rangers laying around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Put them in a big bag. If none are missed over the next 30 days, then donate them.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Have you spayed and neutered them? if not, that is your problem right there. If you don't spay and neuter them, every time you turn your back on them, or turn the lights off for bed they will procreate. If you aren't intending to get them "fixed" I'd suggest keeping them in separate toy boxes so they can't get at each other. Every one seems to gloss over it, but stray toys being brought into the world is a real problem these days. I wish Bob Barker would have mentioned it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• you can put half of them away and then switch the toys every few months that's what i do with my kids
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 7:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2010