I am worried about my sons weight...

my ds is 17 months old and weighs 19.9 lbs and is 32' tall. I am worried because he was born and weighed about 7lbs and was 19-20 inches tall. he has followed a curve his whole life and has gained weight and never lost weight and his pedi is sort of worried. she says it might be genetic and i could have been like that or dad could have but i watch him eat lately and he sits in his highchair like 6-8 times a day or more and i give him food and different kinds and throws most of it if not all of it on the floor and its hard to know how much he eats even if i sit there and watch him. I am just worried for him.advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My has followed the curve since birth as well. He was 7lbs 8 oz and 19in at birth. He never left the curve until he was in school....his height is ok, but, his weight is under the line. I know I feed him healthy nutrient rich food, so, I knew he was/is fine. He is now almost 14 and he is 5feet tall and weighs about 87lbs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:10 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Try pediasure, also my friend pedi told her to give her DD carnation instant breakfast in all her milks, some kids goes through this, my friend her DD did this until almost 3 and then she started to normalize and is great now, it is a little soon to overreact, try giving fattier foods, and calorie additives like instant breakfast is etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• As long as he is gaining steadily even a little...don't worry too much. Try giving him smoothies with protein or something. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• my Son just went through this Beacause his teeth were coming in.. he wouldnt eat any food so he was lie just drinking bottles. I think you should try and give him a formula with a lot of calories and mix it with his milk for a little while and see if it helps him gain weight. Maybe he is just petite. :) I hope my advice can help. Good Luck.
    EthansMommy1120

Answer by EthansMommy1120 at 5:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You need to foods that are calorie-dense and packed with nutrition. Pediasure is loaded with sugar; your toddler does need empty calories. This is a great snack that you can make together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding
    Makes 2 servings
    1.5 cups frozen strawberries
    1 banana
    1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (if you have not introduced nuts, use sunflower seed butter or soynut butter; cashew or almond are best)
    2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk or whatever milk you use
    1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Other snack ideas: Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

• is he drinking a lot for his bottle to replace the food he hasn't been eatting? If he is, wait to give him a bottle until AFTER he eats some of his meal.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Putting him into his high chair 6 to 8 times a day or more seems like a lot. Perhaps he's making this into a game to see what he can get mommy to do? He demands food, knows he can get it then only nibbles when the game gets boring. You might try limiting how often you do this and offer smaller amounts of food at once (to limit what he throws and make it easier to tell what he's eaten). If he's a little hungrier, you may find he eats better. If you haven't already, you might try cheese sticks. If the problem is teething, the cold but soft texture might feel good on his gums. It also is nutritious. I remember my son actually lost weight between his 15 and 18 month checkup. My pediatrician said that was normal. If you doctor is concerned, ask for suggestions.
    Anonymous

• --original poster--
    ya i feed him an array of different foods. i like to feed him salmon and avocado i feed him it so much. i try and feed him some good fatty foods and he loves veggies and grains like rice and i try not to give him too much cheese because he already has hard as rock poops that are little balls and i know if i give him cheese he will get constipated, even a little bit. he hasnt even been drink much milk either so its not like he just drinks the milk. also i dont give him a cup until after food and after eating a good amount of food. of course i dont starve him either. i know that throwing food is probably normal at this age and he will grow out of it and i know he also lvoes food and probably just loves to eat but maybe his stomach is so small because he is small so he doesnt eat as much at a meal. I will probably talk to his pedi at his next appnt in a few weeks. thanks for all the replies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2010