Do any of you have anemic kids? Or do you or your kids take iron?

What were the symptoms that they had of anemia and what types of iron do you use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Health

• I dont know, i have actually been asking this question about my oldest son, 4, lately. We have a dr appt next week to have blood taken for an defficiency (sp?) or anemia. He gets cold way easier than i think he really should, and he gets tired very easily. (My son has MD too, so i dont know if it has something to do with that or different problem). ANYWAYS, they are going to do blood tests and see if its anything to be concerned about it.
    Bran6903

Answer by Bran6903 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I had anemia when I was little. I was on Iron pills. They were little and red..I eventually grew out of needing to take an iron supplement, but still have issues with my iron off an on but I can eat tuna or something that has a good source of iron and I'll be ok.. I dont remember the name bc I was like 4 when I had to start taking them..I was very lethargic, sickly looking all the time, very pale with very dark circles under my eyes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I don't but I do have a few suggestions. Dairy can leach iron, so eliminate it for a few months. Vitamin C increases the absorbtion of iron, so always serve a C source with the iron source.

Here is a listing of iron-rich foods: www.soystache.com/iron

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I have anemia. My kids iron levels are borderline, so they don't take anything specific for it although I imagine my daughter will start needing to when she starts her period - that's when mine started getting really bad. Basically, the only symptom I've ever had was extreme fatigue. But my hemoglobin levels when I'm not pregnant hover right around 9. I take an iron supplement but it doesn't really help - my anemia is due to having irregularly shaped red blood cells that can't easily absorb iron. The only problem I have is when I'm pregnant and they drop to around 7 or so - the drs get very concerned. In two of my pregnancies my iron levels have dropped so low I've been given transfusions.

Answer by missanc at 10:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• oh - the iron supplement I take is prescription, it's called Repliva

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I am anemic. I take a natural OTC supplement called Floradix Iron and Herbs - it does not cause constipation like other iron supplements can. I take it with OJ at night since Vit C increases absorbtion of Fe. Ca competes with Fe for adsorbtion so limit dairy when eating Fe rich foods or supplements. My only symtons were/are extreme tiredness.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 2:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2010