What is kefir and do you use it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• kefir is a grain used to make a yogurt-like drink. It is very healthy, but I can't handle drinking thick liquids so I don't use it.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's not a grain, but it is a yogurt-like drink. It's good on granola, and I like drinking it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's also full of pro-biotics and can help your digestive track. Basically if you can't go, it will help you go...if you're going too much..it will help to slow it down.

I also drink it plain, add it to smoothies, on cereal, the kids like it too, although I thin it out a bit with some soy or rice milk.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm defiantly late to this question =-) One of the BEST places to get a TON of info on Kefir (milk and water) is Dom's Kefir Insite. I found milk kefir during my last pregnancy when my midwife introduced me to it. She gave me some milk kefir grains (it is a matrix of bennifical bactera and yeast that looks somewhat like colifloure). I LOVE it. How lon you let it culture realy depends on how you like it. The parents of my grains were tested, to find they have some 200+ strains of beneficial bacteria. Fantastic for the digestive system =-) I prefer to drink mine with fresh fruit and some stevia for sweetness. Great stuff. I also make water kefir (my recipe tastes like a desert wine) and kombucha (a cultured tea). 

hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 3:18 PM on Jul. 14, 2010