Is it weird that I can't potty train my son and hes going to turn 5 yrs old this year?

Hes got pervasive developmental disorder so i'm not sure if they can except him in special ed classes since hes not potty trained.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not sure if they can accept him if he's not toilet learned either.
    But i don't think it is SO weird that you haven't been able to teach him the toilet yet. Keep at it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I don't know anything about his disorder, so I openly admit that it could be normal. BUT - honestly, while it's not uncommon for little ones to have accidents and stuff at 4, to not be potty trained at all at (or most of the way) at that age is a developmental delay.

I would be talking to my Dr about it if I were you.

I would be very surprised if he was able to be in a main stream classroom and not potty trained :-(

good luck, I hope that you and your ds are able to get help with this!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:42 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I have but all the Dr says is for me to leave him without a diaper and ive already tried that and it doesnt work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My son was Dx with the same disorder, it is on the autism spectrum. He is also ADHD. He was potty trained 2 weeks before school started.. Yes, it is normal for children on the spectrum to have delayed potty training or other issues. There is a group on here for moms with the children with PPD, join and ask for their help. They can help.. I really don't remember how or why potty training finally clicked for my son but it did.. Hang in there mom !!!!!
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:07 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• If he has PDD and is going to be in special education classes, then he should be fine. My oldest has autism and wasn't competely trained until 6 and there were a few kids in his elementary class that didn't train the whole time they were there. He wouldn't be able to go into a mainstream class in a diaper, but special ed classes should be okay - they deal with that all the time.

Answer by missanc at 8:08 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• We have several in our Special Ed classrooms that are not potty trained. If he is 5 and going to school next year, you should get in contact with the school now to make plans for next year. They may also be able to refer you for services that may help with the potty training. Good luck!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• call the school and see. Usually if a public school student attends school with special needs (like diapers) they have to keep and nurse or cna/na with them. But call and check I live in VA
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 8:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You need to learn to keep open communication with your child's school. Everyone needs to be on the same page. Call and ask to talk to someone about your specific issue.
    My son is autistic. He had toilet problems at that age too. But I had placed him in an early intervention program when he was 2 yrs old. He is now 11 in a special ed school. The key for us was to be persistent and patient. My son was out of pull ups by the age of six and I still want to celebrate!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• How long are you leaving him without a diaper? Maybe it's not long enough, be persistent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's be odd, but he has a developmental disorder! One of my friends teaches special ed in high school and changes diapers. So. Talk with the school, find out what needs to happen.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2010