early intervention- preschool question

I was wondering if anyone kid was in early intervention and then tested for preschool and did not quailfy? did your child do fine in school? did they get worse?
I have a 31 month old that has been doing early intervention for speech and ot for about 9 months and we are getting ready for his testing to check his static on improvment. I have school testing in may but some of the people think that he is not going to qualify for help thru them which mean i am going to be on my own. I am just worried about could he regress, could things get worse? does the child continue to inprove on own? please help me

magnane

Asked by magnane at 2:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he doesn't test to qualify for the school, then I would look at getting him into the head start program. It's not just for people in lower income brackets. It's also for kids with IEP's. I know that when my ds was little, pre-school was part of the school district, but because he had an IEP for speech and some other stuff, he wasn't placed in with the pre-school, he was in the head start at the other elem. in the district, because of the IEP, that way, they were able to get more Federal funding for the schools because of it. So, on the chance that he's not placed in the pre-school, look at head start, and also just keep working with his ot and at home, either way.

Oh, I should add, my ds is now a 17 yr old Jr, his last report card is all A's and B's and is taking AP and college placement classes (except in Anatomy, which he hates, and has a C in...). He had an IEP for speech until 6th grade, so hang in there :-)

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It's always good to keep up your own stuff to help too.No matter what the outcome.I know how the %tile works and my son was right on the line of either or.(Just made it) He still has some speech hardships.Saying some sounds.But the work they did was so easy.They did allot of 1on1 playing with toys, colors, shapes and she wrote down the things I said he could and couldn't do. It really was basic so if you do stuff with him and he's right at the middle then you should be fine.You can go to your library and get books on speech developement too.That can help as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My daughter was in speech therapy through early intervention, but by the time they tested her before her 3rd birthday they said she was so far above the charts it wasn't even funny. And she did have clearer speech at 3 than most kids have at 5-6. I enrolled her in a typical preschool, she did fine, no regression. She's now in 3rd grade with no difficulties and just tested into the AG program.

Answer by missanc at 8:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm at the same point you are. My son turns 3 in April and we're going through testing. Our town has an "integrated preschool" program. That means that classes are a mix of kids with IEPs (i.e. who qualify for services) and those who don't (i.e. are "general education"). Look into whether your town does the same thing. I've already registered my son for the preschool program for the fall and put in a small deposit. If he qualifies, he'll start in April and I'll get my deposit back. If he doesn't qualify, he'll still be in the same program but start in the fall. This way, he's more carefully watched regardless. The teacher knows what to watch for so any regression can be caught and dealt with easily. If your child tests at or above age level, I wouldn't worry. If he is still behind but not far enough to qualify, I'd look into getting additional services independently.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• THANK YOU EVERYONE THAT DOES HELP ME.. tHE ONLY THING I CAN NOT DO IS GETTING HIM HELP BY MYSELF AND SEND HIM TO PRESCHOOL. i WILL CONTINUE ON MY SIDE WITH WHAT I DO AND GET CARDS AND STUFF.
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 1:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010