How accurate are ultrasounds at 19 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Depends on what part of the ultrasound you're talking about, babies size, those are rarely accurate and have been off by more than 2 lbs. for 6 of my 7 kids. Sex, you usually can't tell that early, but those tend to be pretty accurate. Babies gestational age, can be wrong too, since they use size to help determine the GA, but they use other things that help to make it more accurate. Abnormalities just depends on what it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• What anon said.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i assume you are talking about for sex ? i disagree with anon and say that usually by 19 weeks they can tell IF baby is in the right position. sometimes they won't be able to tell at all because baby will not be in a good position. if they make a guess, ask if they see the labia/penis/scrotum. if they do, and can point it out to you, most likely it is right.

i agree that if it's about size, they are very inaccurate after the first trimester.

if you mean something else, like in detecting downs syndrome, maybe you should re-ask and be more specific :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• its about 80% accurate......i asked my friend who has been an US tech for 10yrs.....that is what she told me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• The size is not very acuurate at 19 weeks but the sex is VERY accurate at 19 weeks....especially these days when all the mahines are pretty high tech.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• You can tell the sex of a baby as early as 15 weeks. But after 17 weeks it is very accourate. I was 20 weeks when I found out I was carrying twin boys. I was 20 weeks when I found out our last was boy and 21 weeks when I found out dd was girl.

As for size, my OBGYN said he never relies on what an ultrasound shows on size. He uses it to make sure the baby is still growing and developing. He can take the measurement from your belly and get within ounces of what the baby will weight. The week before I developed my mom went with to my appointment (my youngest) and asked how big the baby would be. He looked at my measurement and said that the baby would be about 7lbs 5ozs and no bigger than 7lbs 10ozs. My son weighted 7lbs 4ozs.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010