weaning a 22mo & transitioning from co-sleeping

i'm 7 months pregnant and i need to wean my co-sleeping 22mo from breastfeeding. she nurses until she sleeps. i'm ready to stop BF her, and tandem nursing is not an option. she's too clingy & possessive of me and i think it stems from continuing to nurse & c0-sleep. my question is do i tackle each item one at a time, or should i wean her while transitioning her to her own bed simultaneously?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would start weaning and get a bed for her in your room, so she can still reach you. This is going to be really hard for her since her new sibling will most likely take her place in a few short months. I would tie that in too. "honey your going to be a big sister and now you have to be a big girl, here's your new bed. I will set it up in here for a little while and then you'll have your own room!!" Easier said then done. Good luck. Congrats on the new addition!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• This is three massive changes for one little person. I would do one at a time: wean, new sibling, stop co-sleeping.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would do it one step at a time..first the breatfeedding, then the co-sleeping. Be sure though to set up a routine at night, perhaps a nice bath and then a book before bed to get settled in better. Try having the bed in your room first for a while, until she is comfortable with that enough to be able to sleep in her own room if that is what you are looking to do.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:46 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• One at a time, these are 2 things that make her feel really close to you so weaning & having her sleep by herself may make her feel abandoned.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I Have a journal on my profile to help you transition from co-sleeping. If you follow the steps - I guarantee it will work.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:00 AM on Jan. 28, 2010