Vicdon while pregnant?

I know I will get a lot of different answers on this one...Ok I have been prescriped vicdon for pain. I didn't talk to my doctor about it b/c I didn't think he would give me something harmful. But now I amstarting to wonder. I take a small dose daily. I don't want my baby to be harmed. I guess my question is has anybody took it before while being prego and everything ok??

jmyatin187

Asked by jmyatin187 at 6:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had severe migraines with my first pregnancy. My doctor prescribed Vicoden because it was better for me and my baby than taking handfuls of Tylenol. I didn't take it everyday, just when I needed it, maybe twice a week. My son came out perfectly healthy, high apgar score and no withdrawals. Just do what you feel comfortable with, and makes you the most comfortable pain- wise. Remember that years from now when you look back on your pregnancy, the effects of the vicoden (on you or the babe) will fade from memory; whereas the effects of severe pain can cloud your whole pregnancy experience . Good luck to you, Mama, and whatever decision you make is the right one for you!!
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 1:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• no i never took that-I think I'd look up that on the internet and maybe even ask another doctor-it's your baby you should think about--good luck
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 6:47 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Your child will go Thur withdrawals when it's born if you take it Thur your whole pregnancy. You should have spoke with your doctor before you went on this. What is up with he doctor that gave you this? Did you tell this doctor that your pregnant?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• there are different classifications for pain medications. Ask you dr about percocet instead of vicoden, its less harmful to the baby, ask your dr about schedule 2 vs schedule 3 & the pregnancy codes. They give percocet for c sections.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• At then end of my last pregnancy I was prescribed Tylenol 3w/ codeine because my pubic ligaments had split so far. I would just take half and I had 2 toddlers to take care of which was really hard and on top of that I was on the 3rd floor of an apartment building. My bones gridded together constantly so I know what its like to be in pain while preggers but I would just take half and just because its prescribed pain meds are always PRN as needed. so its not mandatory to take it.
    ellegrl

Answer by ellegrl at 8:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yeah I went to differdnt doctors and they said it was fine. So I don't know. I looked it up on the internet... But you know pregnant people can't take or do anyyhing ..I know I took them with my daughter and she is fine. But I feel like I am taking more with this pregnancy. I just need to cold turkey quit. I don't want my baby to have with drawls. I just don't know if it is to late, The doctor says everything is normal but you know when your pregnant you always think the worst. I thank you guys for your help..
    jmyatin187

Answer by jmyatin187 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I would be questioning that. I had a doctor prescribe me a medication that the pharmacist told me not to take. I would talk to a pharmacist. The can tell you exactly what it does. Then tell me, because I'm jealous you got to take vicoden. I also had different pharmacists tell me not to take sudifed (sp). It depends what class letter it's in and if the risk is worth it. With pain meds the body starts getting use to them and eventually you need more to get the pain to go away. That is the scariest thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i took vicodin, demoral, and percocet. i had severe kidney stones and the meds were the only thing that kept me from going into labor everyday. though i did go into early labor several times. my son was born early and had a 96 hr withdrawl (it's not that bad, he cried a bit while awake and slept a lot, like any baby, but they had him on an iv). i would only use if you are actually in pain...one small dose i wouldn't think constitutes a lot of pain though.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I was given percocete for pain. My neurologist and OB advised against vicodin.
    Anonymous