Lead paint in our home...

So we are moving into a home that has lead paint. There are children living there now they seem fine. I have a three year old and a newborn. Should i be worried? the man selling us the house said not to worry unless your kids are going toeat the walls or if we are taking down walls. Im not sure if there are any ways to cover it up. Cant we just put fresh paint on everything? Is there a special paint that will seal it in. Do we have to tear down all the walls and sheetrock? What do we do. I Want my childern to be safe. please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• That's ridiculous. Just don't let them eat the paint chips and they will be just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Honestly, I probably wouldn't move into a home that I knew had lead paint.

Here is some information about lead paint in homes
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5054.html

It looks like as long as the house is in good condition - paint isn't chipping, peeling, etc. you'll probably be okay. I definitely wouldn't have my kids around if I were going to do any remodeling and I would wear respiratory protection myself and make sure all dust is removed before I let my kids back in the house.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Do not move into a home that you KNOW has lead paint. Lead accumulates in the body over a period of time, and the body does not effectively clear lead from the system. It just continues to accumulate. Also, eating it is not the only way to be exposed. Here's what the CPSC says:

"Eating paint chips is one way young children are exposed to lead. It is not the most common way that consumers, in general, are exposed to lead. Ingesting and inhaling lead dust that is created as lead-based paint "chalks," chips, or peels from deteriorated surfaces can expose consumers to lead. Walking on small paint chips found on the floor, or opening and closing a painted frame window, can also create lead dust. Other sources of lead include deposits that may be present in homes after years of use of leaded gasoline and from industrial sources like smelting. Consumers can also generate lead dust by sanding lead-based paint or by scraping or
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• heating lead-based paint.

Lead dust can settle on floors, walls, and furniture. Under these conditions, children can ingest lead dust from hand-to-mouth con- tact or in food. Settled lead dust can re-enter the air through cleaning, such as sweeping or vacuuming, or by movement of people throughout the house.

AprilDJC

• There's a booklet that covers lead paint that has a lot of info about how it can be a problem, what to do if it's in your house, etc, that you might want to look at and see if the risks / things you need to do about it are worth it or not. You could probably get it from the Housing Authority or the Health Dept. in your area, or do a search for it online.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:49 AM on Jan. 29, 2010