Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lead paint. what do we do?

So we are moving into a home that has lead paint. There are children living there now they seem fine. I have a three year old and a newborn. Should i be worried? the man selling us the house said not to worry unless your kids are going toeat the walls or if we are taking down walls. Im not sure if there are any ways to cover it up. Cant we just put fresh paint on everything? Is there a special paint that will seal it in. Do we have to tear down all the walls and sheetrock? What do we do. I Want my childern to be safe. please help.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (14)
  • Honey, I grew up on lead based paint! LOL! My toys were made of lead based paint, my crib was made of lead based paint. And, oh yeah... here's something funny for you to read too:


    To all the Kids who Survived


     


    Seriously, don't let them lick the walls or eat paint chips and you will be fine!!!

    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5054.html
    maybe this website can help you?
    happynewyorker

    Answer by happynewyorker at 9:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • talk to the guys at the paint dept at home depot and ask them what you can do
    good luck
    mommymeg03

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • Our house has lead based paint on the walls. It's a very old house. We painted over everything and we don't let the kids eat paint chips ( not too many anyway) and so far we've been fine. We've lived here for almost 10 years.
    Bethsunshine

    Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:18 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • As long as your kids are not licking the walls or eating paint chips they will be fine. If it would make you feel better you can kilz the walls, ceilings, and trim with the special kilz concealer primer then paint whatever color you want.
    momtotrips

    Answer by momtotrips at 9:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • Lead paint is very serious! Are you buying this house? While you should make sure the kids don't chew on or eat any paint, you can not watch them all the time. I suggest you repaint any surfaces that have lead paint on them, also if is varnished you will need to scrap and redo. Its a very scary thing to see a child with lead poisoning, it can cause life long problems.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • DIY site should have a great answer to this problem with lead paint. Good luck!
    goldielock37

    Answer by goldielock37 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • Our home has some lead based paint in it. When we had the inspection the guy said all you really need to do is paint over it. If you need to scrap any of it, I'd recommend masks for you and ask someone to watch your children while you do it. Breathing in the dust from it can hurt you too but only when you are scraping, not when you are living in the house with it.

    Cafe Jenn

    Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:01 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • I'm in the same boat right now. You can paint over it with any paint. If you are going to lightly sand before painting, keep the kids out of the house at that time and use the good masks (not the little paper ones withan elastic strap - you want to use a good mask). It is my understanding that you only have to worry if your kids are into peeling and eating paint or at times when you are sanding and getting it into the air.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

  • The worst thing you can do is sand or scrap. It will put dust up in the air that will need to be wiped. Every surface of your house would need to be wiped with a wet cloth. Treat it like you would a bug bomb and close of any area that needs sanding or scrapping with plastic sheeting and towels under the doors. This stuff can float around and end up in your cereal boxes. But regular paint will work fine to cover it.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN