Did I do something wrong?

My 11 yo dd wants to wear the same 3 sweatshirt, coverup jacket type shirts with a t-shirt underneath each day. She has other clothes that she doesn't want to wear that just sit and what a waste of money. I tried to have her wear these 3 and pick out clothes the other 2 days so at least some of the clothes would get worn before she out grows them. She fought me on it and I finally gave in told her, then she will have to do her own laundry because they get dirty. So far it's been 3 weeks and she is still doing her laundry and still wearing the same 3 sweatshirt/jackets. Does anyone else have this issue? Do other kids wear the "same thing" over... and over... like this?? Should I have given up like this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• my neice is that way with sweatsuits in the winter. they just bought her a bunch of them. that is all she wears but goes to catholic schools so it really doesnt matter to her family. yes ... that is normal.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:28 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I can tell you that one kid in my class in high school wore the same shirt everyday for an entire school year. Did you pick out these other clothes of hers or did she pick them out and change her mind? If you picked them out maybe she just doesn't feel comfortable in them. If she picked them out and changed her mind, maybe it's because the other students aren't wearing things like that and/or she feels self consous (sp) in them. Have you asked her what the problem is? Then explain to her the importance of not wasting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My 9yo wears the same clothes every day. She comes home from school and changes out of her uniform and puts on the same shirt she wore all week and pajama bottoms (she refuses to wear pants any more). I've seen her in the same 3 shirts for the past 2 weeks. I refuse to buy her more clothes until she starts wearing what she has.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Yes this is her style for now she will soon realize it .whenever she wants a certain outfit let her pickit out only she'll know she will wear it but I know what you mean it sucks when they act this way. Not much you can do but say well hey I am giving these away bc you don't wear them anyway see what she says. don't buy her anything else until she feels like she needs to make a change regardless it already looks like she is dressing her slef anyway she acts as though those sweatshirts are theonly thing she gots. Maybe it is a selfconcious issue?hmmm? GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• my oldest does - she wears the same 2 hoodies and rotation of 5 tshirts all the time.

we just stopped buying new things when we went shopping - if she paused after I asked if she liked it then nope we don't buy that.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I say pick your battles- if she is willing to wash them herself like you told her then do you REALLY want to take it further?

I understand it's irritating that you bought other clothes she doesn't want to wear...I think it happens to all of us. I bought my 15 yr old a shirt she HAD TO HAVE- probably the most I have spent on anything for her( knowing how kids are!)...and it lays on her floor, she has not worn it at all and I bought the damn thing about 4 months ago...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Congratulations you got your daughter to do her own laundry. You won. Now let it go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• As parents, we need to pick our battles. Is this really worth fighting over? Take the unworn clothes to a consignment shop or sell them on Craigslist or ebay or donate them somewhere.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• just be happy she is doing her laundry, my stepson was the same way except he never changed his underwear or washed his clothes.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i forgot to add that he was 16 though
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2010