How would you say it?

What kind of things can I say when my child is asked to sleep over at a friends house to decline the invite?? I don't want to say the truth which is "you want my child their so you don't have to watch your child" She doesn't watch them and is irresponsible amoung other things I have found out. I just need good "out" lines. What can my child say when this girl asks her why she can't come over?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell her you have other plans, you have something to do in the morning, you really want to spend weekends together as a family...or just say No, not tonight! Or have her friend stay at your house.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Just say no they don't need to hear an excuse if you don't feel comfortable your child going over there don't let her go but her friend can comeover.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• simple as "my mommy said no"
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I believe honesty is the best policy, it keeps you from having to explain yourself later. Just a simple not tonight would work.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Just say no thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I have the same issue. My 3 year old went to a friend's house for 2 hours last weekend, and they were largely unsupervised, did about 6 things on our no list, and the mom thought it was funny. She said "oh she had so much fun, she got to do things she never gets to do." Yes, we have rules for a reason. She threw up on the way home from all the junk she ate (4 little debbie snack cakes is a bit much) has been screaming all night about monsters and pirates coming to get her, played video games, which I think is ridiculous, etc. I had to call them and say "wait, when you said you were going to give her soda, you were kidding right?" They weren't. 3 year olds don't need diet coke. I simply told her since our values were a joke to her, we'd prefer her daughter come to our house. She is pissed, but she knowingly attempted to break all of our rules to prove something. I'm not sure what, but it didn't work.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I agree. A not tonight would work. My SKs BM does things like this all the time. She is constantly having other kids come and spend the night on her weekends so that she doesn't have to watch them or spend time with them. Its annoying. And then the kids come back and are always asking so who is coming over for dinner? Can so and so spend the night? Sorry, I know its not exactly what you were talking about....but I have seen this a lot. I have even had family try to give my 18 month old candy and things when I have always made it clear that I don't want her having that stuff yet. I am trying to keep her from having all of that stuff as along as I can. But I never understand how adults do things with kids on purpose they know that the parent doesn't want.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i am kinda guilty of this. my son is 4. his bff comes over to play every saturday. i stay on the same floor of the house as them but they dont want me to play with them anymore so i just listen in to them to be sure nothing bad happens. i dont give her food that she isnt allowed. we respect her home rules. but they are the same as ours. and i do love to get my cleaning all done when she is over. my son is an only and that time is about the only time he doesnt call out for me to play with him. i can actually focus on a job at hand! her mom knows i clean but she does the same in her house with no kids! they just always insist on being in our house (the kids do) so i never thought it was a bad thing that i dont physically watch them. no one has ever gotten hurt (knock on wood) and the kids play nicely....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My best line "we have plans tomorrow" and I don't elaborate. If they press just say it's family matters.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2010