10 month old shelter pup...housetraining?

Ok, I am getting a 10 month (supposedly...he looks much younger) old Boxer/Australian Shepherd mix pup, being brought up from the shelter tomorrow evening. The workers said they had no idea whether he was housetrained or not, so I'm guessing he isn't. How do I house train this pup? Is it the same as with a younger pup? Maybe crate training?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Pets

• When you bring the pup home treat him as though he is a much younger pup. I would definantly crate train that will help speed it up. Make sure you get him into a good routine and be consistant. I would take him outside 10-15 minutes after he eats,drinks or plays. When you take him outside (assuming you have a fence) stay out there with him so that you reward him when he goes. If you take him out and he does not do anything and he think he needs ot go put him in the crate for 10 minutes and try again. If he has an accident and you do not catch him in the act you can not punish him. Dogs live in the moment so what they did 5 minutes ago has already been forgotten.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2010