Breastfeeding 18 month old?

My son is attached to my boob the past 2 days... literally almost ALL day long.
He is cutting molars and is whining.. I've tried EVERYTHING and all he wants is my boob!

..Anyone else BFing baby get like this.. that are over a year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just refuse. If he is thirsty give him a cup. He will get thirsty enough and drink from it. You have to be the parent, not allow him to control you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I wish I could help but my DD weaned herself at 13 months. I do know that when she was getting her molars she "nursed" a lot more. It was more for comfort.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 10:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Your child is in pain and seeking comfort. Not to mention, eating food that requires chewing is probably painful so he's hungry and looking for nourishment that doesn't require use of his teeth.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• the breast is for comfort as well as nutrition; this is why women's bodies are created the way they are.

What is your objection or concern?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My 20mo is still nursing... and cutting 4 teeth right now.. I know exactly how you feel.... It is tough, but they really need us right now. I just have to remember it wont be long and he will be done. They say teething pain is so severe that an adult would consider suicide and option. I know it's hard to get other things done when they are attached all day long, but you are doing the right thing. Keep it up!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• My daughter was doing this at 16 months... I couldn't believe it because we had been scaling back before then, and she'd only nurse when offered (3 times a day)... then all the sudden she was asking... all the time. I knew I was going to be away from her for 5 days later that month, though, so I did start saying no and offering her a sippy of water instead (she wouldn't drink milk). If you're not trying to wean or anything, I'd say go with it, but it may not let up anytime soon. I think nursing children at this age you do start to get into that territory, though... where you either have to set the limits or be willing to offer breast all day long... I have a 2.5 year-old as well, which is part of why I decided to use the 5 day trip away as an opportunity. I didn't pump while gone and she only asked to nurse a few times after...
    Anonymous

• Its just comfort. My daughter did this once he gets his teeth he will mellow out. I know when you are trying to do stuff its hard! But he just wants to be close to you because he doesn't feel well.
    Anonymous