Vitamins & Breastfeeding??

I am ebf my son and I read that you should give him a vitamin supplement because he doesn't get enough vitamin A & D from breastmilk. Does anyone give their child vitamins?

Smash2021

Asked by Smash2021 at 10:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician always recommended Tri Vi Sol for Vitamin D while I was breastfeeding and I gave it to them until they were one and started on milk.

Answer by missanc at 10:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• He goes to the doctors next week-I will ask him about that...Thanks!
    Smash2021

Answer by Smash2021 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• 15 minutes of sun is all you need to make vitamin D. The body makes vitamin A too. Don't waste your money.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:29 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I live in Cleveland, 9 months of nearly no sun. I give my kids Vitamin D. Usually by this time of year we would have had at least 2 colds. None since we started the Vitamin D.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• By the way breastmilk is rich in vitamin A. If you think your diet is lacking in vitamin A eat some orange or yellow veggies or fruits. Particularly carrots.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:09 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• Sunlight for vitamin d, unless you live in a very northern area or have dark skin. Baby will be born with stores of it to last through winter months. Your milk is very high in vitamin A. If you decide you need to supplement vita d, you can get "just d" drops. They don't need anything else.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I give my dd tri vi sol with iron and have since she was 6 mo old. Breastmilk doesn't contain enough Iron or vitamin D to meet their daily need after 6 months.... amillee girl obviously doesn't live where it rains a lot or is dark a lot...
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i would try sunshine for vit d. it is the best source for your body. i would not give my lo's supplements. focus on eating a great diet yourself, and God has taken care of the rest!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I live in NY so baby and I dont get much sun....
    Smash2021

Answer by Smash2021 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• it really just takes a smidgen of sun...i know some rays penetrate the clouds, maybe you could ask your dr. if that could be sufficient? this is something i really want to learn a lot more about myself.
    congrats on your baby !!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2010