Am I the only one who doesn't really like to read?

I feel embarassed to admit this because almost everyone I know likes to read a lot. Plus the media is always pushing how important it is to raise your children to love reading. I do like reading magazines and the newspaper, but most fiction just really isn't interesting to me. The funny thing is that when I was growing up I loved reading. Go figure. Anyways, are there other people like me who just don't generally find most books to be very interesting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• What about non-fiction books? It is so great for a child to see a parent reading. go to the library and look for books that interest you: cookbooks, birding, whatever...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I love books. My friend doesn't like to read...She has a degree in journalism, I always thought that was strange..
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I'm not big on reading- but I will go for vampire books ; )
    I prefer young adult books IF I read-because they seem to move along faster and not have so much boring backstory or characters to keep track of!
    My daughter LOVES to read- my son hates it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• It is important for your kids to see you reading - but they can see you reading magazines or newspapers, it doesn't have to be books. I love to read, when I can find the time! I read to my kids at night because we all enjoy it, and I like it even more now that they are getting older and into more interesting books (my older kids are 8 and 10). My little one, 14 months, loves to "read" and will sit flipping through books for a long time, just turning the pages and looking.

Answer by missanc at 10:52 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• i don't care for it. Some kids books are fun...i like the fiction ones. I hate long dragged out stories. I would rather read something short and fun
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I like reading magazines and newspapers also. Don't care for books all that much.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I hate reading. I've always had comprehension problems since I was little. Or maybe just selective reading comprehension. If a teacher gave an assignment to read a specific book and write a report, I would read the whole book but couldn't tell you what the heck I just read. If we were tested with questions from the book I couldn't tell you the answers, but I could tell you almost exactly what page I read it on approx which paragraph. I have a heck of a photographic memory but seriously suck at comprehension. I can read a magazine article, newspaper article or something that interest me in general and can recite the whole article back to you, but it has to be something in my interest.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 12:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2010

• I never have liked reading either but everyone in my family loves to read. I only read when Im in the mood and I usually just read self help books. IF its a story I would rather just wait for the movie!
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 29, 2010